• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I need to join the RAF, yesterday

• Thread starter Thread starter pazza198
  • Start date Start date
P

pazza198

Hi everyone,

I finished my degree in Sport Sciences last May and since then I have worked as a duty manager at a hotel. Given the current economic problem with employment as a whole I have decided that I dont want to be made redundant from a job at 35 or so and learning a completely different trade aftwerards, I also want to start a pension and planning for the future. Better sooner rather than later.
I turned 22 last week and went down to the local AFCO to get some information on applying as a pilot. I haven't got my life resting on a career as a pilot as I know the majority of people would dream of the lifestlye and the responsibility. I'm no different however, I've been excellent with fitness for the duration of my teenage life and I know that I would do well with any test that is put infront of me.

The only steel wall standing in my way is the requirement of a grade C in English Language GCSE. I tried to talk round the AFCO RAF Officer to accept me without it, even though I know its not within his power (clutching at straws comes to mind). Surely, the fact I have a degree demonstrates a greater understanding of English Language than a 16 year old in college getting a grade C. He agreed with me which was positive and even agreed that the requirements need changing. I've been doing essays for the last 3 years and my sentence structure and literacy skills are far superior than a grade C GCSE. I haven't long now to apply, with respect to the entry age of 23. I phoned the AFCO office yesterday and asked if they would accept a Key Skills Level 2 English Literacy Certificate (the equivelant of A*-C at GCSE English). Basically, I can attain this certificate upon an assessment at an adult leaning centre in one day. They have told me to do this and bring in the certificate, then they'll send it off for judgement.

Does anyone have any information on finding any loophole's to get around this requirement. It seems ridiculous to me.

Sorry for the long winded post, I tend to go round things the long way just so everyones in the know.

Cheers

Jay

C

Crabbity Ann

Hi everyone,

I finished my degree in Sport Sciences last May and since then I have worked as a duty manager at a hotel. Given the current economic problem with employment as a whole I have decided that I dont want to be made redundant from a job at 35 or so and learning a completely different trade aftwerards, I also want to start a pension and planning for the future. Better sooner rather than later.
I turned 22 last week and went down to the local AFCO to get some information on applying as a pilot. I haven't got my life resting on a career as a pilot as I know the majority of people would dream of the lifestlye and the responsibility. I'm no different however, I've been excellent with fitness for the duration of my teenage life and I know that I would do well with any test that is put infront of me.

The only steel wall standing in my way is the requirement of a grade C in English Language GCSE. I tried to talk round the AFCO RAF Officer to accept me without it, even though I know its not within his power (clutching at straws comes to mind). Surely, the fact I have a degree demonstrates a greater understanding of English Language than a 16 year old in college getting a grade C. He agreed with me which was positive and even agreed that the requirements need changing. I've been doing essays for the last 3 years and my sentence structure and literacy skills are far superior than a grade C GCSE. I haven't long now to apply, with respect to the entry age of 23. I phoned the AFCO office yesterday and asked if they would accept a Key Skills Level 2 English Literacy Certificate (the equivelant of A*-C at GCSE English). Basically, I can attain this certificate upon an assessment at an adult leaning centre in one day. They have told me to do this and bring in the certificate, then they'll send it off for judgement.

Does anyone have any information on finding any loophole's to get around this requirement. It seems ridiculous to me.

Sorry for the long winded post, I tend to go round things the long way just so everyones in the know.

Cheers

Jay

I don't have any advice for you but I find it slightly offensive that you appear to assume having a degree automatically makes you smarter (or 'gives you a greater understanding') than someone who doesn't just because you have some experience writing essays. I have experience working out my weekly and monthly budgets, handling cash and running crewbars but I don't think that makes my maths skills any better than the average 16 year old considering I also failed to meet the required grade to pass, C.

I don't have a degree (because I chose to go to work instead of going to Uni, not because I'm too thick to study) though I'm no genius but I've been confronted with this attitude several times since joining up and it really annoys me.

Rant over, good luck getting in on time.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
"Does anyone have any information on finding any loophole's to get around this requirement. It seems ridiculous to me."

Depends on who you are. It used to mean something, but I doubt very much if it (the qualification) means a jot now. If you mean is English used extensively in RAF communications and in a highly specific form? God yes. I still have the text book to prove it. There is a huge emphasis on the writtent and oral in IOT.

You appear to have the tiks in the bocks from your post, but prepare to take the exam. They even ask that guys in the mob have this english O level, whatever their age and experience.

C

Creative

Surely, the fact I have a degree demonstrates a greater understanding of English Language than a 16 year old in college getting a grade C.

Try reading your post again. There are numerous spelling mistakes and grammatical errors.

Stick to the hotel business.

F

Forest

Couldn't have put it better myself "Creative":PDT_Xtremez_30:

just one thing, if his english is so good, why didn't he achieve the "C" when he first took the exam in school?

Certain branches req to be prof qualified and not the GCSEs & As etc, you need to speak with the afco again. but hey if your that good get the quals you req ffs

Last edited:
G

gemarriott

Why not get your arse into gear, sit the exam in May/June and if you pass get back down the AFCO

I too have a degree but I didn't need one to work that answer out!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Stop trying to find loopholes and apply yourself to the problem...Do a one week crash course with the GCSE at the end of it then continue with your application...

C

Creative

Basically, I can attain this certificate upon an assessment at an adult leaning centre in one day.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. I spotted another error that could be relevant to his application. He will have been leaned before he applies to join, so I guess he will fit right in.

C

Caz

Half my degree was in German where I found I could get by on very poor English Spelling and Grammar, on account it wasn't needed. The other half was History where it was needed a bit, but even though they decided I probably sufered with a bit of dyslexia I still got a two:one!
Oh and I still managed to get a C in English language back in the day when it was hard LOL.
Point is having a degree in no way prooves you can spell or write grammatically correct sentences, just that you can argue a point coherently with supporting evidence. Ask most Uni Lectureres and they will tell you standards of Written English have dropped in the last twenty years... but more people than ever are getting degrees! Not to mention the story, a while back, of a pupil answering "**** Off" on a GCSE when asked to describe the room he was sitting in, and getting marks awarded, although I seem to remember he would have got more if he had written "**** off!" showing better grammar!

Take the test offered and proove yourself. If you are that confident you will pass, go and take it tomorrow. If you are still twenty two, you have a year as you need to be no older than 23 when you start training so you can still start a Cranwell as long as it's before your 24th birthday.

Asbach

LAC
"a Key Skills Level 2 English Literacy Certificate" is not acceptable as an equivalent of GCSE English for entry into the RAF. The Level 3 Communication award is acceptable for entry as the equivalent of GCSE English.

Good Luck

P

pazza198

Look, im not after arguments from a group of people who i'm trying to get advice from, the post is understandable and i shouldn't have to spend half a week writing it so all of you can understand. I have the decency to understand what people are trying to get across by reading their posts. Most of my mistakes where from typing to fast and therefore missing or adding letters i shouldn't. The govornment has stopped doing crash courses and the GCSE exam is only available to take on the 15th June. I've already looked into the key skills course and i'm going to do that next week.

Yes, I was assuming that I have a better understanding of English Literature than a 16 year old, and i still do despite your knock-backs. As may many of you, i prioritised when i was 16, and i prioritised wrongly. I thought that my teenage years where the time to enjoy myself and have fun so instead of revising i was going out. I still dont regret those years, and thus i find myself at 22 wanting to embark on a career for the rest of my life.

P.S if others like me want to come onto this forum asking for advice give them advice, your here to help after all. Dont go on for post after post correcting my grammar, its petty and it steers off the jist of the conversation. Besides, there is plenty of margin for improvement for a lot of the posts above, we're not in an exam after all.

Thanks

and yes, its govErnment

P

pazza198

"a Key Skills Level 2 English Literacy Certificate" is not acceptable as an equivalent of GCSE English for entry into the RAF. The Level 3 Communication award is acceptable for entry as the equivalent of GCSE English.

Good Luck

Thanks for that, would you have any info on where i could get thi or who i could contact for information.

Thanks again.

J

laboratoryqueen

Dr Midget Midgetson
Look, im not after arguments from a group of people who i'm trying to get advice from, the post is understandable and i shouldn't have to spend half a week writing it so all of you can understand. I have the decency to understand what people are trying to get across by reading their posts. Most of my mistakes where from typing to fast and therefore missing or adding letters i shouldn't. The govornment has stopped doing crash courses and the GCSE exam is only available to take on the 15th June. I've already looked into the key skills course and i'm going to do that next week.

Yes, I was assuming that I have a better understanding of English Literature than a 16 year old, and i still do despite your knock-backs. As may many of you, i prioritised when i was 16, and i prioritised wrongly. I thought that my teenage years where the time to enjoy myself and have fun so instead of revising i was going out. I still dont regret those years, and thus i find myself at 22 wanting to embark on a career for the rest of my life.

P.S if others like me want to come onto this forum asking for advice give them advice, your here to help after all. Dont go on for post after post correcting my grammar, its petty and it steers off the jist of the conversation. Besides, there is plenty of margin for improvement for a lot of the posts above, we're not in an exam after all.

Thanks

and yes, its govErnment

Point of fact, none of the members on this forum are specifically here to provide advice for potential recruits, that is the job for the AFCO.

Now with regards to your question, why try to find a loophole?

Before enrolling on my nursing degree I was told that to gain entry to university they required I had five GCSE's at grade C and above within a five year period. I took my GCSE's at school and I took A levels after that, however it is approximately 19 years since I left school. Even though I held GCSE qualifications all at grade A and A level qualifications at grades A and B, for me to embark on the route which I chose to do, I was fully aware that I would be required to renew the qualification and to to give them the academic qualifications they required within the five year time scale.

I didn't look for loopholes, I accepted this and so resat the exams. It didn't take long, I had what was required and also gave myself current qualifications. For something as simple as taking a resit, there is no need to find a loophole.

Contact your local college and they will provide you with information on courses, either on site or those held within a community support learning centre.

P

pazza198

Point of fact, none of the members on this forum are specifically here to provide advice for potential recruits, that is the job for the AFCO.

Now with regards to your question, why try to find a loophole?

Before enrolling on my nursing degree I was told that to gain entry to university they required I had five GCSE's at grade C and above within a five year period. I took my GCSE's at school and I took A levels after that, however it is approximately 19 years since I left school. Even though I held GCSE qualifications all at grade A and A level qualifications at grades A and B, for me to embark on the route which I chose to do, I was fully aware that I would be required to renew the qualification and to to give them the academic qualifications they required within the five year time scale.

I didn't look for loopholes, I accepted this and so resat the exams. It didn't take long, I had what was required and also gave myself current qualifications. For something as simple as taking a resit, there is no need to find a loophole.

Contact your local college and they will provide you with information on courses, either on site or those held within a community support learning centre.

Thanks for the info,

like i said i'm currently 22 and i have time to resit on June 15, i just want to get in asap. i know i'm not going to walk in and be able to ace the exams as i'll have to learn the curriculum first, i know it'll be worth the wait in the end because hopefully i'll have a long and prosperous career, and even better retirement.

Thanks for the info, gonna get onto my old college for information.

Asbach

LAC
Thanks for that, would you have any info on where i could get thi or who i could contact for information.

Thanks again.

J

You could always try to approach your local "Connexions" office for information of training providers/colleges in your local area to get you qualified.

C

Creative

Yes, I was assuming that I have a better understanding of English Literature than a 16 year old, and i still do despite your knock-backs.
English Literature eh? Not English Language, which is what the RAF require. I think you maybe getting the two mixed up. Also, as a 22 year old why are you only comparing yourself to a 16 year old? You wont be competing against a 16 year old at OASC, if you get that far.

Most of my mistakes where from typing to fast and therefore missing or adding letters i shouldn't.
And do you really think that is the skill set the RAF require in their Pilots? One who rushes things and misses vital information?

Like I said in a previous post, stick to the hotel business the worst damage you can do there is give somebody the wrong room key.

Oh BTW it's "too" not "to".

Last edited:
L

LordFish

Grammar.

I always thought of pedantry as a positive attribute. It used to be called, 'attention to detail'.

Dont get me wrong, there is a time and a place for attention to detail, and grammer :-)

However too much attention to detail could lead to OCD:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Back