• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICT Tech advice

• Thread starter Thread starter Gary
  • Start date Start date
G

Gary

Hello all, I'm looking at joining the RAF and training as an ICT technician & was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions im curious of before i join preferably from people in the ICT field,

I was wondering how you find ICT tech in the RAF & would you advise it for others who is interested?

After 11/12 months at cosford on phase 2 training, what happens after there? Where am i likely to be moved to & how long for etc

Ive been to the AF careers office and they said they are currently looking for applicants for the ICT tech role, so if i applied today for example how long from then will it be until i start phase 1 training in RAF Halton?

Any help/advice would be appreciated, for those who have strong opinions whom dont think will be welcomed publically on the forum then feel free to private message me

Cheers, Gary

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hello all, I'm looking at joining the RAF and training as an ICT technician & was wondering if anyone could answer a few questions im curious of before i join preferably from people in the ICT field,

I was wondering how you find ICT tech in the RAF & would you advise it for others who is interested?

After 11/12 months at cosford on phase 2 training, what happens after there? Where am i likely to be moved to & how long for etc

Ive been to the AF careers office and they said they are currently looking for applicants for the ICT tech role, so if i applied today for example how long from then will it be until i start phase 1 training in RAF Halton?

Any help/advice would be appreciated, for those who have strong opinions whom dont think will be welcomed publically on the forum then feel free to private message me

Cheers, Gary

Hello Gary,

There are plenty of ICT guys on the Goat who will no doubt be along shortly to help you out. WRT your Q on recruiting timescales, unfortunately that is a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' question - there are plenty of factors that will influence the length of time it takes to get in, some affected by you, some by the RAF, e.g. the trade may get enough applicants and shut sooner than expected, the length of time it takes to get security cleared, how long before they can sort a medical appointment out for you, to name but a few. My advice to you is to call the RAF Recruiting hotline (you can get the number from the website) and register your interest. Once the vacancies open up, you will be emailed a link to the application process and you can take things from there. At least you will be registered and in the pool of prospective ICT Techs and you can only be taken out of the pool if you remove yourself from it.

G

Gary

Hello Gary,

There are plenty of ICT guys on the Goat who will no doubt be along shortly to help you out. WRT your Q on recruiting timescales, unfortunately that is a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' question - there are plenty of factors that will influence the length of time it takes to get in, some affected by you, some by the RAF, e.g. the trade may get enough applicants and shut sooner than expected, the length of time it takes to get security cleared, how long before they can sort a medical appointment out for you, to name but a few. My advice to you is to call the RAF Recruiting hotline (you can get the number from the website) and register your interest. Once the vacancies open up, you will be emailed a link to the application process and you can take things from there. At least you will be registered and in the pool of prospective ICT Techs and you can only be taken out of the pool if you remove yourself from it.

Hey, Thanks for your response. How long does it usually take about (minimum)? i know it will vary alot im just wondering as i am still studying in college & that doesn't finish until July and i also have other things to take into consideration with the time it takes for the full process, i dont want to apply then find out (phase 1) training starts before my course finishes (as i may aswel complete it) etc if that atall makes sense.

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
It will be at least 6 months but potentially up to a year. I was lucky, I applied in October and I was at Halton the following May. For others it can take years.

G

Gary

It will be at least 6 months but potentially up to a year. I was lucky, I applied in October and I was at Halton the following May. For others it can take years.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me

Is there anyone that could answer my other questions?

Also at RAF halton you cant drive there can you for training? But can you drive to RAF cosford during phase 2 training?

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me

Is there anyone that could answer my other questions?

Also at RAF halton you cant drive there can you for training? But can you drive to RAF cosford during phase 2 training?

You can drive to Halton, your car just stays in the car park down the hill.

G

Gary

Ive just applied now for the ICT role,

I previously noticed somewhere said something about having to bring your passport to a test but the problem is my passport expired this February (just gone), do i NEED my passport or can i use some other form of identification (if thats what they want it for), i have student card & driving license which i could alternatly use if its for ID purposes or will i have to get an application sent out for a new passport?

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Best people to ask would be your AFCO. It's prob just for identification as you can get the RAF to pay for your passport if your require it for your job. I got mine in TCW and my driving license. Saved a few quid there.

G

Gary

Best people to ask would be your AFCO. It's prob just for identification as you can get the RAF to pay for your passport if your require it for your job. I got mine in TCW and my driving license. Saved a few quid there.

Okay cool ill give them a call tomorrow and see, Cheers

Back