• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I'd like some advice please

• Thread starter Thread starter ASensibleName
  • Start date Start date
A

ASensibleName

I was browsing the RAF careers website and the weapons system operator jobs caught my eye. Now I have some questions relating to this.

I have glasses but I get away without wearing them, but I have to wear them for driving. They aren't very strong magnification. I'm slightly short sighted. I only realised I needed them when my driving instructor asked me to read some license plates one time. Can anyone tell me for definite if that destroys my chances?

This year I finished my A level course but I only got CDEE. As that job doesn't actually specify a requirement for A levels, will that be ok?

In late January I'll be resitting a few modules to try and push the E's up to Cs or Bs.

Also I had actually been thinking about trying for the officer job, but I understand that selection for officer jobs is much harder. Could someone compare the two selection processes, aircrew and officer selection?

I am actually quite interested in doing a degree in Politics with History but I don't know that none scientific degrees are valued in the force. Would it improve my chances of getting either job? Are there specific degrees from specific unis that the RAF desires?

I am a college leaver and have not been in paid employment.

Last edited:
C

Crabbity Ann

As far as qualifications go you should be able to meet the minimum requirement for your selected trade though I believe A levels are required to go for officer (not sure exactly what grades are needed though). Keep in mind that even with the right grades you will still have to pass the RAF aptitude test at the level required for your chosen trade.

Sorry, I can't help with any other questions.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Visit your AFCO

Visit your AFCO

I was browsing the RAF careers website and the weapons system operator jobs caught my eye. Now I have some questions relating to this.

I have glasses but I get away without wearing them, but I have to wear them for driving. They aren't very strong magnification. I'm slightly short sighted. I only realised I needed them when my driving instructor asked me to read some license plates on time. Can anyone one tell me for definite if that destroys my chances?
Visit your AFCO they will give you a form to send off and get this checked out.

This year I finished my A level course but I only got CDEE. As that job doesn't actually specify a requirement for A levels, will that be ok?
Should be okay for WSOp, if this is four full A2s then you should be okay for some officer jobs, Pilot and WSO eyesight requirements can be higher.

In late January I'll be resitting a few modules to try and push the E's up to Cs or Bs.
Won't do your application any harm.

Also I had actually been thinking about trying for the officer job, but I understand that selection for officer jobs is much harder. Could someone compare the two selection processes, aircrew and officer selection?
It's the same process if you meet the standard required then you'll be offered a job in your order of preference - a lot of Officer jobs are closed at the mo, but may open up soon.

I am actually quite interested in doing a degree in Politics with History but I don't know that none scientific degrees are valued in the force. Would it improve my chances of getting either job? Are there specific degrees from specific unis that the RAF desires?
Unless it's specified then do the degree you'll get the best marks in.

Not a problem at the moment, however, isn't there any volunteer work you could be doing to prove your abilities.

Best bet go down your local AFCO, give them a ring first, and have a chat.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
What sort of WSOp do you like the look of?

D

DRK5390

I have glasses but I get away without wearing them, but I have to wear them for driving. They aren't very strong magnification. I'm slightly short sighted. I only realised I needed them when my driving instructor asked me to read some license plates on time. Can anyone one tell me for definite if that destroys my chances?

The selection for Officers and Aircrew is done at the Officers and Aircrew Selection Centre RAF Cranwell, so you will go through the same AFCO process as if you were applying for NCA:PDT_Xtremez_30:

J

JB09

With regards to the eyesight question, you will need to get an MSL (Medical Supplement Leaflet) from your local AFCO and get it filled out by your optician who will need to carry out the necessary tests.

Then take it back to your local AFCO who will process it, and you will get the results within about 6 weeks stating exactly which trades you are fit/unfit to do.

I got my results through the other day, and being short sighted like yourself (I wear contact lenses), the only aircrew position I am allowed to do is WSOp Linguist. Obviously I was gutted by this as I really wanted to be a WSOp Crewman, however I expected the news having spoken to my AFCO prior to completing the MSL. I'm now going in for Regiment Officer.

My advice to you is to not get your hopes up about it yet, in order to save any disappointment should it turn out that you aren't fit for the job. Go and speak to your local AFCO and follow the aforementioned procedure.

Good luck!

Back