• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Int Officer advice

G

gr_fellows

Hi I'm hoping someone can help: I'm looking at applying for OASC to join as an Intelligence Officer. I'm 28 and have a degree in Arabic and French, and did some translation work since uni. I'm really into my languages and I'm keen to use them, so if I joined as an Intelligence Officer, would I have much scope to do that? Or is there any other branch it would be better to look at. I'm having a look at the voice analyst (linguist) and WSop (linguist) trades as well, but I'd rather get an idea whether there's scope in the RAF to do a more general role and still use it, or whether the job roles are pretty rigid. Any advice would be much appreciated.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
Welcome to e-goat! The WSOp branch is not recruiting at the moment as far as I know (too many grow bags not enough aircraft) and the linguist branch has been closed since November 2009 so that will probably narrow your interest. The search button will help you get lots of info on here. There are numerous threads with people asking about joining up, commission's, recruit training and preparation. You name it. There is some post SDSR negativity at the moment, and with good reason. But I think the RAF is still a great opportunity for young people to get a good career, qualifications and life experience. If your RAF career doesn't quite go as planned, just make sure you make full use of all the opportunities available. Believe me. Speaking to civilian companies about your time in the forces gives you an edge over others. All the best and I hope you find the answers to your questions on the goat.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hi I'm hoping someone can help: I'm looking at applying for OASC to join as an Intelligence Officer. I'm 28 and have a degree in Arabic and French, and did some translation work since uni. I'm really into my languages and I'm keen to use them, so if I joined as an Intelligence Officer, would I have much scope to do that? Or is there any other branch it would be better to look at. I'm having a look at the voice analyst (linguist) and WSop (linguist) trades as well, but I'd rather get an idea whether there's scope in the RAF to do a more general role and still use it, or whether the job roles are pretty rigid. Any advice would be much appreciated.

As has been alluded to, Int is not recruiting at the mo, as is WSOp Linguist. Someone with your languages background is beneficial, but not necessary for the branch. However, it's not going to do you any harm. The RAF can offer you a language award for your skills if they can use them. My advice to you is to register with the 0845 number quoted on the website. The branch should open again in time, fairly soon.