• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interested in Joining the RAF Regiment

• Thread starter Thread starter jQPR
  • Start date Start date
J

jQPR

Hi, there.

I'm really interested in joining the RAF Regiment, so I thought I'd ask a few questions on here before I go to the careers office and waste everyone's time.

I was in the Army from the age of 16 to 22 (Household Cavalry). When I came out, I worked in construction. However, I'm now looking to get back in but the Army is full up, so I've had no joy with that. So, I'm now considering the RAF Regiment. I'm only 24, so I still feel I'm young enough to start afresh.

First of all, what's the current situation with the RAF Regiment? Are they actively recruiting, or are they full up?

Would the fact that I've already been in the Army count against me?

How long is the application process? Is there a big waiting list to join?

Apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong place - I understand if it gets moved elsewhere. Any and all advice most welcome.

Cheers,
Smudge

A

amfortas

If you can bring your own horse, it would help.

But it will have to pass a SWO's inspection.

:PDT_Xtremez_42:

J

jQPR

Smartest man in the Blues and Royals squadron, me! ;)

On a more serious note can anyone actually answer any of my questions?

H

Hardcore Rockape

As far as im aware we are still recruiting, but i know one or two of the training flights have gone so i imagine its gonna be quite a long waiting list. Can't see why being in the army would go against you

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Hi, there.

I'm really interested in joining the RAF Regiment, so I thought I'd ask a few questions on here before I go to the careers office and waste everyone's time.

I was in the Army from the age of 16 to 22 (Household Cavalry). When I came out, I worked in construction. However, I'm now looking to get back in but the Army is full up, so I've had no joy with that. So, I'm now considering the RAF Regiment. I'm only 24, so I still feel I'm young enough to start afresh.

First of all, what's the current situation with the RAF Regiment? Are they actively recruiting, or are they full up? At this moment, they still are recruiting. However, it is not known how long it will be open for. My advice to you is if you are good to go, apply via the 0845 number NOW.

Would the fact that I've already been in the Army count against me? No, it will have no bearing on you whatsoever. When you get to Honington, you may find that the DS will expect a better performance from you and you may even end up as Senior Man which will mean mentoring the other recruits, etc. You will already have a shedload of experience, probably on operations as well, and the DS will look at you exploiting that. But certainly through the recruiting process it will have no bearing whatsoever.

How long is the application process? Is there a big waiting list to join? That's a bit of a 'how long's a piece of string' querstion to be honest. There are many factors that will influence the length of time it takes to get in - some will be up to you, some up to the RAF. The best thing is to get registered via the 0845 number and get yourself in the pot. Once you're in the pot, you are there until you take yourself out or you enter service.

Apologies to the mods if this is in the wrong place - I understand if it gets moved elsewhere. Any and all advice most welcome.

Cheers,
Smudge

Smudge,

See my answers in red dude.

J

jQPR

Right just a quick update. I rang the 0845 number and was told that RAF Regiment Gunner was still available, was e-mailed the link and have filled in the online application form. Once I sent the online application form, it said they'd get in touch in the next 10 business days by phone, e-mail or post.

So, I suppose it's just a case of wait out?

Fingers crossed, touch wood, etc.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Basically, yes. Your AFCO will be in touch shortly to arrange a chat and for you to sit the entrance tests. From then on it is just ride out the selection process.

Good luck.

J

jQPR

Sent the application off on Monday and haven't heard anything back yet. Either by phone or email.

I know its only been a week but should I be worried? I'm starting to get a bit twitchy, as I just want to get the process started as quickly as possible.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Sent the application off on Monday and haven't heard anything back yet. Either by phone or email.

I know its only been a week but should I be worried? I'm starting to get a bit twitchy, as I just want to get the process started as quickly as possible.

Patience young Padwan.

K

kledsham87

Hey man, I am currently in the process and its gone so fast. I applied the end of July and already have a date for my PGAC. So just to answer your question about how long is the process, it doesnt seem to be long at the minute because they are short on RAF Gunners.

Good Luck pal

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Kledsham, be careful about handing out that kind of advice. Different people have different circumstances to yourself thus making each case different. Recruiting pictures change almost hourly so what may have worked for you then could be vastly different for someone else.

J

jQPR

Well I still haven't been called back by the AFCO yet so I won't get too carried away.

Thank's for letting us know though.

However, I'm remaining firmly in the, expect the worst and hope for the best camp.

Just getting an interview at the AFCO would be a start!

Smudge

J

jQPR

Just another update.

Filled out all the relevant paperwork today and have my aptitude test booked for the end of this month.

Starting to get a bit worried about the PGAC, though. If I make it that far, of course.

I'm pretty fit, but it just takes one bad run or a bad time on the assault course and it seems like you're sent home and have to start all over again! :PDT_Xtremez_09:

Oh well, I suppose it weeds out the gimps.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Do NOT underestimate PGSC. It will sort out the men from the boys. Someone with a Forces background like yourself hopefully will not have an issue with it, but don't go in thinking it will be a breeze.

J

jQPR

Far from it. In fact it looks quite daunting.

Army selection was a piece of ****. This looks VERY different.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine mate. Just don't be blase about it. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
R

Reformed Scribbly

Yep, plenty of training,and don't treat the standards laid down as a target, but as a minimum and when it comes to the event just don't give up. PGSC tests your mental strength as much as physical fitness.

J

jQPR

I've been beasting myself on a daily basis so hopefully should be ready for it. I just hate it when the words fitness & test are used! Automatically puts the sh*ts up me.

Need to get ready for the aptitude test first, though. How well do I need to score to be accepted for RAF Regiment?

Back