• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Internet home page

After a bit of help again.

I've recently changed from BT to Virgin for my internet and for some reason I can't get rid of BT as my home page. I've deleated all the files I can find on my computer with regards to BT, and have changed the home page bit in internet options, pressing apply and then ok but with no luck.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Have tried changing the homepage by clicking on 'Use Current' from the internet options screen?

(obviously while on the webpage you wish to change to)

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Also when you delete temporary internet files and the like make sure theres no tick beside preserve favorite site data (I think thats what its called anyway)

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
If it's been pre-set by BT software you could try the following:

In IE, click on Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, and scroll down to the 'Browsing' section.

Uncheck the box next to "Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)" then click OK.

This will disable all IE extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects (BHO's)- some of which you might want to keep. You can re-enable the ones you wanted later.

Close down IE, then restart it.

See if you can now change homepage, using the standard method.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Trying ditching Internet Explorer and downloading something like Chrome or Safari.

I would have said Firefox, but the current version is buggy as hell!

Mightierthan

Corporal
Most anti-virus suites have a 'prevent programs from changing my homepage' button. Set your home page to what you want it to be then open your AV software and have a look around.

Mightierthan

Corporal
I'm using AVG (free version), I've had a quick look at it and can't seem to see anything that might be locking my home page.

I also use AVG Free, but I also have McAfee Site Advisor, Scotty and Spybot S&D (all also free). It could be on one of the latter 3, or even on the Windoze firewall settings. I'll have a little look around tonight and let you know tomorrow.

A

Aces and Eights

Boot into Safe Mode (With Networking) by pressing F8 key after reboot.

Run Spybot (download from here)

Run Malwarebytes (download from here)

Running in Safe Mode lets Windows boot using the minimum amount of drivers/resources in order to get it running (a kind of life support system). Don't worry if the graphics look ropey.

By the way, what Operating System are you using, and what Service Pack?
________
DICK SUCKING LIPS

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm nigh on pooter illiterate so this is what I'd do...

Find a pooter geek who is most likely to be able to fix it for me and come to an agreement where for fixing my pooter I'll stop the big boys from nicking his dinner money for a while...

Hope the helps...

A

Aces and Eights

Start
Right click 'Computer'
Select Properties

You will see what edition of Vista you are using, and the Service Pack details.
________
Synthetic Weed

Last edited:

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Accidenatlly drop computer down stairs... claim on your insurance.... get new computer...... new home page! Taa' daa! :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Back