• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is my PC wireless?

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Appologies for being a bit thick....

I've just setup Sky Broadband, tried to set up the wireless thingy, and suddenly thought "is my PC wireless?"

So, i checked the device manager, and under Network Adapters there is a 1394 Network Adapter, PPPoE Win Miniport, and a RealTek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

So, do any of these make my PC wireless? Or do i need to go out and buy an adapter?

:PDT_Xtremez_35:

W

wgaf

Appologies for being a bit thick....

I've just setup Sky Broadband, tried to set up the wireless thingy, and suddenly thought "is my PC wireless?"

So, i checked the device manager, and under Network Adapters there is a 1394 Network Adapter, PPPoE Win Miniport, and a RealTek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

So, do any of these make my PC wireless? Or do i need to go out and buy an adapter?

:PDT_Xtremez_35:
Unless your laptop has a wireless card fitted then you will have to buy a card for the pcmia slot.

M

mad_mo

Im no PC geek but what you have mentioned is not a wireless adaptor.

My laptop has built-in wireless and I just push a button to activate it. For my desktop, I bought a little wirless adaptor that looks a bit like a USB memory card and just plugged it into a USB port, job done.

M

mad_mo

Cheers guys, looks like a trip out is needed.

MBH, it looks like this :

21N1Q088SRL._SS500_.jpg

M

monobrow

Yup, they all sound like LAN adapters to me. A.K.A. Like all them blue cat 5 cables for the intranet computers.

If it's a desktop then get a cable, it's cheaper than a wi-fi adapter, if it's a laptop, then what mad_mo described is fine!

One thing to make sure though. Encrypt your connection!!!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Fcuk yeah. Encrypt. I sit here with my laptop and it can pick up just short of 20 wi-fi connections near by. Only mine and two others are encrypted. My hub broke down a few months ago - how tempted was I to hijack someone elses signal????

M

mad_mo

Fcuk yeah. Encrypt. I sit here with my laptop and it can pick up just short of 20 wi-fi connections near by. Only mine and two others are encrypted. My hub broke down a few months ago - how tempted was I to hijack someone elses signal????

I can do just that at present!. Somebody either side of my house is using a Belkin hub and left it un-crypted, I can log into at anytime!!.

M

monobrow

I can't believe people do it. A lot of people use these networks for printer and file sharing....

I suppose you could search for a network printer, then just print a word doc that says.....

Big brother is watching you.........

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
1394 Network Adapter, <- ETHERNET USING FIREWIRE
PPPoE Win Miniport, and a <-A PIECE OF SOFTWARE FOR MAKING A DEVICE ACT LIKE SOMETHING ELSE
RealTek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC < - WIRED DEFINATELY

Just a tip mat, get the connection working properly, then add encryption to the router first(remembering what the key + ssid are) then add it to the latop/pc

Back