• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's me again...!

raflad67

Corporal
Some more help needed please:

This is where I am upto with this sodding PC:

Packard Bell imedia 1517 (AMD 64)

I have recently:

Installed another gig of RAM
Installed new PSU - now a 500 watt - PSU burnt out thats why I replaced it.

PC has been 'freezing' a bit over the last week or so and now it switches off and wont switch on again - overheating I think.

I removed the CPU/Heatsink and it was very hot.

I let it cool down completely and ensured all was clean then put it back and (leaving the side panel off) switched it back on. Initially the CPU fan goes around and then stops so am monitoring it when the PC warms up as it should kick in when warmed up a bit?. I actually thought the fan was completely u/s thus pc overheating but as it goes round I guess not.

Is there anything else I could/should be doing or any further helpful info/gen again much appreciated.

Cheers

welshjpc

Corporal
Check in your BIOS and see if CPU fan speed is set to Intelligent / Automatic (something like that). If so then yes, your fan will only kick in at a specified temperature. CPUs do get very hot.

The problem sounds like the RAM - is it the same speed/latency etc as the previously installed stuff? Did you earth yourself before installing it? It is soooo easy to break it with just a touch of static.

Earth yourself, remove all RAM, replace new RAM in first slot - but not old RAM. See if problem persists If so - dead RAM.

Right, where's me cider.......

M

monobrow

CPU fans rarely stop unless they are absolutely f*cked.

A new fan (if removable, and standard sized) will set you back between £3 and £5. Sizes are usually 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm.

Really cheap option and can breathe life into any noisy or sticky fan....

1) Remove fan and dust off with a paintbrush.
2) Using a watchmakers screwdriver, lift up the edge of the manufacturers sticker.
3) Peel back enough to find either the motor axle or a rubber plug.
4) Remove the rubber plug if there
5) Put in 3 drops of 3 in one oil (or similar)
6) Replace plug, stick down sticker.
7) Refit fan and jobs a good'un.

raflad67

Corporal
Did you re-apply a thermal compound after cleaning?

I didn't wipe any of the old stuff off? Will this make a difference, should I put some new thermal compound on as if not could using in its present condition be a contributory factor?

By the way, even with the side panel off and computer on for around 45 mins it has switched off again!

raflad67

Corporal
Check in your BIOS and see if CPU fan speed is set to Intelligent / Automatic (something like that). If so then yes, your fan will only kick in at a specified temperature. CPUs do get very hot.

The problem sounds like the RAM - is it the same speed/latency etc as the previously installed stuff? Did you earth yourself before installing it? It is soooo easy to break it with just a touch of static.

Earth yourself, remove all RAM, replace new RAM in first slot - but not old RAM. See if problem persists If so - dead RAM.

RAM is recognised by the pc so should this not indicate it is ok?

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
Did you re-apply a thermal compound after cleaning?

I didn't wipe any of the old stuff off? Will this make a difference, should I put some new thermal compound on as if not could using in its present condition be a contributory factor?

By the way, even with the side panel off and computer on for around 45 mins it has switched off again!

Fraid so old bean. I would recommend cleaning thoroughly with an acetone based cleaner to completely remove the old compound (re-using the old compound can leave micro bubbles, which cause hot spots leading to overheating), then re apply a good compound (a silver based good conductor type), being very careful to get a good seal when re-fitting the heatsink.

I've had similar probs in the past and always worth trying the cheapest option first. Compound is cheap. Google instructions if a little unsure.

Good luck.

D

raflad67

Corporal

BIOS shows CPU regulator set at Enabled

I did earth myself before messing inside PC and RAM is the exact required.

When checking BIOS watched temp when PC switched on, it started at 50 and went up to 67 without fan kicking in. I helped it along the way and it worked at various speeds from 1800-2400ish but it did stop again when it went down again.

Anyway, took it out again and cleaned it and oiled it as advised and have sent for some compound so when that arrives will stick it back in and see what happens.

G

gemarriott

Find the biggest armourer on the camp, give him your pooter and a crate of beer and ask him to get it fixed.

You don't need to know any more but you'll get a working pooter back:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Back