• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jobs and the value of ex service people.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I know many people who happened to have served within HM Armed Forces and have done well. Some have excelled beyond belief.

One thing I've noticed in my post RAF times is that the majority have done incredible things so what is it that drives people to succeed once they've given the uniform up?

There are of course others that don't make it and that's another conversation

What makes an ex service person stand out from their civilian counterparts?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
A lot of people join the forces because of lack of opportunity, support or direction, which then becomes available to them, some do well whilst in, and others jump ship and move forward rapidly.

However, from my experience, quite a few ex forces do struggle with civi ways when they try to enter the jobs market at their perceived right level, then there are others will take a quiet life, and ride it out to retirement.

I did a CTP event in York the other week and the keenest guy I met all day was a RSM of some infantry regiment, really wanted to do something special on leaving and understood the challenges of his transition, he’d done well in the Army and you could see he would do well on the outside. Also met quite a few ‘PM’ wannabes who are really going to struggle.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I would say I'm doing very well as a now 'acting' Level 4 Chief Engineer in the MOD. Not bad for someone who left as a Cpl although I was degree'd up the yin yang, and that wound up certain Chiefs who thought they had control over me.

A lot of what has driven me to excel is being told I'm not good enough more than I've been told that I am. It makes it taste even better when I meet those same individuals who tried to keep me suppressed, years down the line, whilst they have just spun their wheels.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
For me its about personal drive, something most service people possess, and doing the simple things right. Like turning up on time, always being presentable, knowing your subject and having the confidence to explain that subject to others. Even now I can't stand bad time keeping there's always the thought that if they can't be bothered to turn up on time what other aspects of the task are in their "I can't be bothered box"

Cornish_Pikey

Sergeant
For me its about personal drive, something most service people possess, and doing the simple things right. Like turning up on time, always being presentable, knowing your subject and having the confidence to explain that subject to others. Even now I can't stand bad time keeping there's always the thought that if they can't be bothered to turn up on time what other aspects of the task are in their "I can't be bothered box"
There are some of the very best people that struggle with timekeeping. They are usually the busiest, most called upon people and always somehow manage to squeeze all their tasks in plus any extras they are asked to do.

Their ability to run the same clock as yours doesn't make them lazy or sloppy and unless you are in a time critical place such as a battlefield a few minutes either side makes little, if any, difference to outcomes.

How often does a Wing Commander rock up exactly on time in the morning?

For me I think the fact we spent around half our military careers on training courses of one type or another, teaching us how to do a job properly. Carry that into civvy life = less resistance on attending training courses or wanting to learn and better ourselves which instantly puts us head and shoulders above most others.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
My old man was a RM WO, he always said to me "if you are on time then you're five minutes late" and that's how I've always been.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
For me I think the fact we spent around half our military careers on training courses of one type or another, teaching us how to do a job properly. Carry that into civvy life = less resistance on attending training courses or wanting to learn and better ourselves which instantly puts us head and shoulders above most others.
Years ago when I was still in uniform, I went on a course at a civvy training company that also ran courses for companies such as Ford. Even back then the instructor told us that he liked having service people on the course because we could be relied on to turn up, listen to him and then put the effort in to the 'doing' practical aspects so that we learned and passed.

Back