• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joining from Ireland

ryanp16

LAC
Hi, I'm interested in applying for the RAF Regiment but my residency is an issue. I know on the website it explicitly states you must meet the nationality requirements (which I do, Republic of Ireland) and the residency requirements (which I don't).

However I did also read on the RAF site that for the Regiment you just need to meet the nationality requirements and somewhere else on the site that the residency might not be an issue if they can easily carry out all of the security checks. A similar thing is written on the Royal Navy site where nationality and/or residency can be waived in certain circumstances. I'd provide links to everything I just said but I found them earlier today and it would take a while to track them again.

I've also heard about a lot of Irish citizens being allowed to the join the RAF for all roles bar aircrew, officer and ATC. Someone currently serving in the British military also informed me that the official like is you must meet the residency requirement, but they're not too strict on it.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I've also heard about a lot of Irish citizens being allowed to the join the RAF for all roles bar aircrew, officer and ATC.

Well I know a few Irish guys who are Pilots and Air Traffic Contollers.. so that sort of blows that one out of the water mate. Hope that helps.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
I joined up with a guy from Dublin in 84,went on to do very well in the RAF but because of the security situation in the province at the time,he could'nt tell anybody for obvious reasons.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
There is no problem applying to join the RAF if you are from the Republic of Ireland. Normally you have to have been resident in the UK for 5 years immediately before joining, however that can be waived in many cases. Your AFCO (presumably Belfast) will tell you what details you need to provide when you get to that stage. The only fly in the ointment is that you will have to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen (it's the Republic of Ireland government which insists upon that) but again you will be advised how and when to do that by your AFCO.

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
There is no problem applying to join the RAF if you are from the Republic of Ireland. Normally you have to have been resident in the UK for 5 years immediately before joining, however that can be waived in many cases. Your AFCO (presumably Belfast) will tell you what details you need to provide when you get to that stage. The only fly in the ointment is that you will have to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen (it's the Republic of Ireland government which insists upon that) but again you will be advised how and when to do that by your AFCO.

Joint AFCO is at Palace Barracks.

AFCO Belfast (Palace Barracks Careers Office)
028 9042 5717
Palace Barracks,
Holywood,
County Down
BT18 9RA

Easy to get to,bus from Dublin to Belfast then bus from Belfast to Bangor,the Bangor bus passes the back gate access to Palace.The's also a bed & breakfast about a quarter mile away in Holywood.

ryanp16

LAC
Thank you for all the info!

One other thing, what kind of waivers would I be looking at trying to get? I have very few ties to the UK, except two uncles living there and attending a university which used to be British property. I'm just concerned because I've read about UK citizens being out of the country for just a few months being denied entry and having their waivers denied.

Not sure if it'll make any difference either but by the time I'm applying I'll have an honours degree in mathematics and physics from Trinity College Dublin.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

henry02

LAC
Well I don't know much about the rules on joining from Ireland, but I know (that when they were recruiting), I would have been able to join the Irish army etc, so guessing it's not too much of a problem the other way around.

I go to Ireland a lot, love it over there. And many Irish may get grumpy with me for saying this, but it's almost British anyway!

spike7451

Flight Sergeant
Thank you for all the info!

One other thing, what kind of waivers would I be looking at trying to get? I have very few ties to the UK, except two uncles living there and attending a university which used to be British property. I'm just concerned because I've read about UK citizens being out of the country for just a few months being denied entry and having their waivers denied.

Not sure if it'll make any difference either but by the time I'm applying I'll have an honours degree in mathematics and physics from Trinity College Dublin.

Thanks again.

In all honesty it'd be better if you give the AFCO at Palace a call,it was quite different when I joined up (I was living near Belfast but originally from Birmingham at the time) and the was a lot more 'problems' then.

Have a look at the link below;

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/canijoin/nationalityandresidency.cfm

IrishG

LAC
have you applied yet? what is it your interested in doing, iv applied from NI on saturday for the regiment

ryanp16

LAC
have you applied yet? what is it your interested in doing, iv applied from NI on saturday for the regiment

Haven't applied yet, probably wont start the application until the new year. I'm planning on the regiment as well if all goes well!

Best of luck with it!