• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joining from overseas

• Thread starter Thread starter mr.sniper
  • Start date Start date
M

mr.sniper

Hey im from a South Africa which is a commonwealth country and i would like to join the raf regiment as a gunner! Is it possible for me to join and can i start the recruitment process from overseas or would i have to get my ass over to the uk first? haha cheers

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm pretty certain to join as an Airman you have to be in the UK....

See here

Additionally hasn't your government banned SA nationals serving in foriegn Armed Forces?

M

mr.sniper

I'm pretty certain to join as an Airman you have to be in the UK....

See here

Additionally hasn't your government banned SA nationals serving in foriegn Armed Forces?

ahh no that law is not final yet, dont think its ever going to be so where still allowed to join! Ive heard you have to apply for a security waiver as you havnt lived in the uk for 3 years, anymore info on this?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
"If you have not lived in the United Kingdom for 5 consecutive years it is unlikely that your application will meet our residency requirements"

Word Up. I am English, did 19 years in the mob then left and went walkies for 10 years. Lived here for 18 months now and tried to re-apply, and they basically told me to pi$$ off as I need to be here for 5 years.......or (and it's a big or) I get certificates from the coppers in every country plus documented evidence from all employers saying what a fine fellow I really am (for the defence vetting agency, who do all this sort of stuff). Now, this might be because I am english and I really reckon if you aint, you will have really big problems.

My advice: Check with the DVA.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Some can some cannot

Some can some cannot

If you go on the RAF Careers website I'm sure there's information about overseas applications, all considered on individual circumstances I beleive.

Either way you'll have to visit the UK at some point for the RAF to assess you suitability.

Have a look here for a start

Y

Yidmister

Ok my take on it is as follows: The current rules state you must have resided in the UK for the last 5 years and in those 5 years you must not have been out of the country for more than 28 days consecutively. There could be exeptions to this rule and you would need to approach your local AFCO if you feel you have a case to fight. However I recently had a case just like this and spoke to the correct department at the HQ Recruitment office and was told no. I hope this clears up any disagreements some people might have had with my original post.

Last edited:
M

mr.sniper

ahh damm that really sucks! o well army it is then...:PDT_Xtremez_32:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Are you

Are you

As a recruiter I can tell you that you will not be able to apply. The current rules state you must have resided in the UK for the last 5 years and in those 5 years you must not have been out of the country for more than 28 days consecutively. Hope this clears this up for you.

I would have thought that if you are a recruiter then you would know that the 5 year rule has a couple of exceptions for certain people in certain circumstances and that there is somebody at Cranwell who's job it is to deal with overseas applications. They have clamped down recently but there are still possibilities.

Making the statement above might stop an eligible individual from making an enquiry, so it might be helpful if you give a fuller answer next time.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Mister B1971, you might possibly be right and have hit the nail on the head. I received 2 messages:

1. Sling your hook, potential terrorist.
2. OK, we might take you, but you will need to prove that you are not one after all.

I have received both messages at the same time form OASC. Anyone's advice therefore welcomed, because OASC sure as hell have trouble adhering to common decency and clarifying the issue.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Ask for an appeals address

Ask for an appeals address

Mister B1971, you might possibly be right and have hit the nail on the head. I received 2 messages:

1. Sling your hook, potential terrorist.
2. OK, we might take you, but you will need to prove that you are not one after all.

I have received both messages at the same time form OASC. Anyone's advice therefore welcomed, because OASC sure as hell have trouble adhering to common decency and clarifying the issue.

SN, ask whoever you are dealing with, OASC or AFCO for the address of some one you can state your case too. There must be somebody at Cranwell, the policy people, who can give you a definate yes or no based on your circumstances, if you do write I suggest you politely state the facts of your case and display a strong sense of enthusiasm for joining the RAF.

Good Luck, but as I said earlier they have tightened the rules a lot recently, but it's still not a blanket no.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
SN, ask whoever you are dealing with, OASC or AFCO for the address of some one you can state your case too. There must be somebody at Cranwell, the policy people, who can give you a definate yes or no based on your circumstances, if you do write I suggest you politely state the facts of your case and display a strong sense of enthusiasm for joining the RAF.

Good Luck, but as I said earlier they have tightened the rules a lot recently, but it's still not a blanket no.

I know exactly who I am dealing with, but I rather suspect that you do not.

I have written to them three times, and became tired of them. You see, I saw this as I would any other potential relationship; A little bit of integrity is required on both sides...and yes your (sorry, really rather patronising) advise to be both polite and enthusiastic was also only unilaterally acted upon, it seems. They did not respond to me. I don't want to add ot this as I have no wish to indict or name individuals, particularly those who were enthusiastic and decent to a fault - suffice it to say that I have a document history of correspondence and I wrote a great deal more than I received.

Y

Yidmister

Ok my take on it is as follows: The current rules state you must have resided in the UK for the last 5 years and in those 5 years you must not have been out of the country for more than 28 days consecutively. There could be exeptions to this rule and you would need to approach your local AFCO if you feel you have a case to fight. However I recently had a case just like this and spoke to the correct department at the HQ Recruitment office and was told no. I hope this clears up any disagreements some people might have had with my original post

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Shame

Shame

I know exactly who I am dealing with, but I rather suspect that you do not.

I have written to them three times, and became tired of them. You see, I saw this as I would any other potential relationship; A little bit of integrity is required on both sides...and yes your (sorry, really rather patronising) advise to be both polite and enthusiastic was also only unilaterally acted upon, it seems. They did not respond to me. I don't want to add ot this as I have no wish to indict or name individuals, particularly those who were enthusiastic and decent to a fault - suffice it to say that I have a document history of correspondence and I wrote a great deal more than I received.

It's a shame that the replies you have received are not in the way you enquired, after all if you are not eligible now you may well be in the future once you've lived here long enough, however, I guess the attitude of some may put you off applying in the future, which is a shame as we won't have the recession pushing people into the forces forever.

Good luck to you what ever you decide to do.

YD

It's not about disagreeing with you it's more about getting the right answer out, you started of by stating you were a recruiter which is good but it also means that people reading the rest of the post believe it to be gospel and verse, which in this case it was not. Don't forget people might (although they seem not too) search for overseas recruiting on this forum and get the wrong answer. From what I have seen on here a lot of minor processes might be local to a particular AFCO or area and not the the whole recruiting world.

Last edited:
M

mr.sniper

It's a shame that the replies you have received are not in the way you enquired, after all if you are not eligible now you may well be in the future once you've lived here long enough, however, I guess the attitude of some may put you off applying in the future, which is a shame as we won't have the recession pushing people into the forces forever.

Good luck to you what ever you decide to do.

yeah i think the best will be to present myself at a afco when i fly over and find out exactly whats what!

Back