• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

joining the RAF tips?

• Thread starter Thread starter slick-nick
  • Start date Start date
S

slick-nick

hi im hoping to join the RAF to be a pilot, not interested in any other job in the raf to be honest and so far ive been told the tests for joining in that category are hard and wondered if anyone had some tips/insight into it for me as i would much appreciate it? also my eyesight isnt great, i rang the RAF helpline and was told its not a problem ill have to have my eyes lasered off my own pocket wait a year then apply for the RAF again and be re tested, does anyone have any insight to that atall on here? as i tend to get fed alot of bulls**t by alot of people especially people on phones who dont care and i dont want to waste a year, have also been told that the age limit is 25 so ive got enough time to get it sorted yet last year when i checked it was 23, im 21 at the moment so is now a good time to be joining at this age? am i what they are looking for? im not overweight if anything im underwight im 6ft tall and im only lifting 20kg on dumbells so not a huge amount of muscle in me but i can run like forest, any help appreciated

many thanks nick

Hate to be the one to give you the bad news but not sure what the telephone advice line was saying but you are VERY unlikely to get in the RAF as aircrew without perfect uncorrected eyesight. Bearing in mind 90% of people appying to join RAF as officer want aircrew the RAF can afford to be very picky. However, dont let my bad news put you off the RAF as there loads of other decent jobs around and remember if flying was difficult the techies would be doing that as well.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Hello Nick,
I'd go and get those eyes lasered straight away, no one likes a speccy tw@t.
Also, I'd recommend you get yourself some steroids, chuck a handful in a protein shake and just go nuts. That'll help with your girly twig arms.

That is, if indeed you are a real person and not the figment of someone's board overactive imagination.

If you are indeed a real person, then try and use a capital letter once in a while. I presume that as you are considering a commission you may have bumped into the idea of correct sentence structure at some point during your education.

Hope that helps. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Last edited:
S

slick-nick

Hello Nick,
I'd go and get those eyes lasered straight away, no one likes a speccy tw@t.
Also, I'd recommend you get yourself some steroids, chuck a handful in a protein shake and just go nuts. That'll help with your girly twig arms.

That is, if indeed you are a real person and not the figment of someone's board overactive imagination.

If you are indeed a real person, then try and use a capital letter once in a while. I presume that as you are considering a commission you may have bumped into the idea of correct sentence structure at some point during your education.

Hope that helps. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Yea its all a help cheers im a real person from essex was in the air cadets when i was younger, ive started up some protein shakes anyway im not trying to look macho and im not a dreamer so I doubt ill be taking any steroids, and id imagine the RAF tests would detect that and say f off straight away?

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
I believe I am right in thinking that the eyesight requirements and the upper age limit for entry as pilot have been relaxed slightly in recent years.

However, the competition for entry as a pilot is very tough. Your first port of call should be your nearest AFCO. Speak to someone in person who can advise you exactly what are the current requirements for entry and how you might maximise your chances of beating that competition.

Finally, it's a strapline but one worth remembering: you don't have to be a pilot to fly in the RAF!

S

slick-nick

I believe I am right in thinking that the eyesight requirements and the upper age limit for entry as pilot have been relaxed slightly in recent years.

However, the competition for entry as a pilot is very tough. Your first port of call should be your nearest AFCO. Speak to someone in person who can advise you exactly what are the current requirements for entry and how you might maximise your chances of beating that competition.

Finally, it's a strapline but one worth remembering: you don't have to be a pilot to fly in the RAF!

Yea i thought they had relaxed more whats an AFCO?

It's a good job im not a pilot then im a mechanic/plumber but never the less I want to be a pilot lol

S

slick-nick

You have shown enough resource and initiative to find e-goat, therefore you can answer questions like that without help.

Ok found it southend is the nearest ill be down there monday morning cheers for all the help

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
I suggest you look at your grammar, comprehension and spelling, you want to apply for a commission the RAF and quite frankly, forum or not, they need looking at.
Also, try looking for the Recruit Forums on the front page of E-Goat. These were invented to help people like yourself and stop people jamming up the main boards with daft questions.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Good Advice

Good Advice

Slick, the eye sight requirements for pilot are very tight and the chance of applying if you have had any laser surgery for any aircrew role would be very slight.

I'd give Southend a call before popping down and ask them the question over the phone.

The age limit has gone up but I think your biggest problem will be your eye sight.

Remeber guys this is the Recruitment Forum so try to be polite.

Good Luck

JPJ83

SAC
Do not get your eyes lasered. It will destroy any chance of you ever getting in.

Your eyesight may be OK. Ask the question at your careers office.

Drill Bit

Sergeant
I suggest you look at your grammar, comprehension and spelling, you want to apply for a commission the RAF and quite frankly, forum or not, they need looking at.
Also, try looking for the Recruit Forums on the front page of E-Goat. These were invented to help people like yourself and stop people jamming up the main boards with daft questions.

Your grammar isn't too hot either. Give the kid a break.

Back