• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joining the RAF.

• Thread starter Thread starter medic1
  • Start date Start date
M

medic1

Hello,
I know this is the wrong place but could a mod kindly move it please.

I am looking to join the RAF in 2 years’ time (I know it is a long way off) but I need to know as much as possible. So can I have as much information about ether a loadmaster or a whinchman.
I have been told to visit the afco in 2 years but my college wants me to know as much as possible about the job I am heading for.
So some information about me
I am medically minded (hence the name:PDT_Xtremez_19:) and I am soon going on a AED cource and I am keen member of st john ambulance.

So here are my questions –
What is the height limit for both?
What are they looking for personality wise?
Is there a chance of becoming a paramedic?
Is the fitness high?
Do they help people with dyslexia?
Is there anything that is not in the leaflets that would be helpful?

Please help
Thanks
Medic 1 (aka matt)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Explore the recruitment forum your thread now resides in...The search button is your friend!

A

amfortas

Dyslexic, eh?

A wannabe Loady?

I guess we are about due for another Dickie Mint to work creatively with trim sheets.

:PDT_Xtremez_35:

M

medic1

Thanks vim and I will use the search but if anyone could answer the questions I would be very happy.

what is wrong with being a loady and beening Dyslexic?

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
There is nothing wrong with being dyslexic and serving as RAF aircrew. Indeed, I know of a fast jet Nav who is. Hasn't held him back. The Armed Forces are exempt from most of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 apart from section 2, which deals with specific learning disabilities. Selection for aircrew is aptitude based, as opposed to a test of your education, so the fact you are dyslexic won't make a difference and will not be taken into consideration during the process - you either have the ability or you don't. How extreme is your condition? The course you would do is extremely academic so you may struggle, depending on the severity of your condition. When you apply, ensure that all of the statementing paperwork is supplied to the AFCO. A qualified educational psychologist will make a decision as to how he thinks you would cope with training. The RAF is obliged to help serving personnel with SpLD in the way of adding extra time on service exams, providing materials and resources, etc. But, as I said, the severity will be tested. If it is deemed that you won't cope with aircrew training, you won't be selected. But being dyslexic is not a hindrance to a successful RAF career.

M

medic1

Ah sorry for not replying for a week :PDT_Xtremez_42:
Thanks for that.
My dyslexia is weak and I only struggle with spelling and handwriting.

I have know found out my result which are 6 gcses at grade C and 1 gcse at grade D.

Off Topic So i dont start a new thread what is the medical brance of the RAf like?

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Which medical trade are you thinking of the RAF careers website has all the information on the medical trades available in the RAF and the educational requirements.

And before you ask you cannot join as a Paramedic currently you need to join as an RAF Medic serve a few years and then apply, there is a lot of competition and the calibre of candidates is high as they are then expected to do to to 2-3 yrs training. This is followed by some consolidation of skills before possibly fulfilling the MERT role on Ops.

M

medic1

Thank you penfold and what does the basic RAF medic do day to day? and on ops ?
I know the RAF website will tell me stuff but It is one sided.

Back