• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joining up.. need help from you guys/girls!!

D

Dazz1020

Hi, im 22, im a carpenter with NVQ 3 qualifications
I have been wanting to join the RAF for quite some time now..

Basically i need some advice...
Originally i wanted to join as a pilot, but due to my colourblindness this was ruled out... gutted.. but i soon realised that i STILL really wanted to join up, and that it wasnt just the flying that appealed to me...

So i am thinking between Wsop and working on aircraft, not sure on avionics or mechanical yet.
as this is the "techie" forum, im going to focus on the tech side..

Question 1: i am colourblind (as i mentioned) i only just failed the test at the CAA, i think i got 15 on the test and the threshold for a commercial pilot is 12. so not that far off, but i didn't get a single number correct on the ishihara plates. will this affect my application?

Question 2: Also, i have heard that the tech training/career isn't what it used to be (see http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-16673.html)
is this the case? would i be better off going to uni and then joining as an EngO?

Question 3: if i were to complete the apprenticeship and get my NVQ3 in aeronautical engineering, ideally it would make sense to work towards an EngO? but to join as an EngO you need a degree? just seems strange that there is a gap there? you'd think that you could carry on? maybe you can? i dont know? any help would be much appreciated..

Question 4: last thing guys/gals... is it worth it? is joining the RAF as great as it seems? i know that its personal to each person, but id like to hear your opinions... i think id love it, but am worried about losing a girlfriend/wife because we couldn't settle and i was away for long periods...

Thanks
Darren

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Sorry about this but you wouldn't be doing any of those jobs if you are not CP2.

Good Luck