• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Just wanting a bit more of an insight

• Thread starter Thread starter cd10v07
  • Start date Start date
C

cd10v07

Hiya,

Got a couple of questions, but I would like to apply to be a female pilot.
Firstly i have a thyroid problem, and also fairly bad psoriasis on my scalp, will this have a big effect on my application on the medical side of things?
Secondly, I am in my last year of uni, and haven't been a part of any of the University Air Squadron, or air cadets, will this make me less favourable?
Lastly, if I join, do I have to do the 12 years of "usual service" or is this flexible?
thanks

Charlotte

K

Kilo Tango

I am by no means an authority on the subject but as a vague indication...

1. Probably, they can afford to be choosy! Check the website here: http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/canijoin/health.cfm or call you local AFCO for more information.

2. No but they are looking for good all rounders, are you part of a club/ held a position of responsibility, play any sports?

3. Can't imagine they are too flexible! You will also be expected to do reserve duty on top of the minimum service. The RAF, pilot especially, is a commitment to a way of life. If 12 years sounds too long you might want to think again.

There are lots of other jobs in the RAF other than pilot that have more flexible conditions for entry on the medical side and shorter minimum service. Check the website or ring the 0845 number on the site for more info on other careers. You don't have to be a pilot to fly in the RAF.. :PDT_Xtremez_14:

Back