• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Keyboard turn off

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Well not yet having got around to buying a new PC, I've got a really annoying problem with my existing one.
During the boot sequence the keyboard turns 'off' (i.e. the numlock light goes out) but usually turns back on again later on during boot. Occaisionally however it stays in its disbaled mode and I have to restart the PC to get it back on again.
Anyone come across this before or have any idea whats causing it?

M

monobrow

There's usually a setting in the BIOS for numlock on boot (on or off).

as the computer is booting, look for a "Press F10 for setup" or something similar. Have a good nosey around it, but don't change too much or your computer might stop working altogether!!!

Ex Tg3

SAC
also,

If it is a USB keyboard it will not work during the boot process as there will be no drivers currently active for it, the only time that the drivers are present is during POST (power on self test) and when windows/other OS initiates them.

If it is a USB jobbie then just unplug it and plug back in again and it should pick it up if you are on windows.

HTH

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
also,
If it is a USB keyboard it will not work during the boot process as there will be no drivers currently active for it, the only time that the drivers are present is during POST (power on self test) and when windows/other OS initiates them.
Off Topic
Not specifically true, most modern bios have an USB legacy device support option that does enable USB mice and keyboard on boot..(when i say modern i'm talking from mid to late Pentium 3 to present day)
Off Topic

As mono has suggested you might have a dodgy keyboard but to clarifiy the symptoms. When it boots into windows can you turn on the num lock light by pressing the numlock key? Do any of the other keys work?

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Thanks for the replies.

Its a bog-standard PS2 connection keyboard, and when it turns off during boot, its stays 'off'. None of the keys work at all.

I think I'll try grabbing a replacement keyboard (they're pretty cheap) and see if that fixes it.

G

gemarriott

Thanks for the replies.

Its a bog-standard PS2 connection keyboard, and when it turns off during boot, its stays 'off'. None of the keys work at all.

I think I'll try grabbing a replacement keyboard (they're pretty cheap) and see if that fixes it.

I had the same thing with a new computer. Replaced it with usb keyboard no problems after that.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
What has happened to e-goat?

Problem, my keyboard used to work fine, now it doesn't.
Solution, try a new keyboard, if that doesn't work then look deeper.

But no we have to have yet another pointless thread to discuss the ins and outs of PC keyboards. If people are that computer retarded as they come across on here i'm surprised that you even manage to switch the thing on in the first place!

G

gemarriott

But no we have to have yet another pointless thread to discuss the ins and outs of PC keyboards. If people are that computer retarded as they come across on here i'm surprised that you even manage to switch the thing on in the first place!

some of us are so wind yer ferking neck in:PDT_Xtremez_14:

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer

Find a thread you don't like?

Solution, don't read it.

FYI I'm actually quite computer literate and hold an COMPTIA A+ certification but I've never seen this problem before and am actually unsure whether its a hardware or software issue, i.e. does anyone know if the keyboard actually should switch off midway through the windows boot sequence? I thought I might ask around first to see if it was problem someone else has come across; sorry to trouble your eyes having to read it.

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Find a thread you don't like?

Solution, don't read it.

Or just delete it

If people come across as that intolerant I'm surprised we actually have a civil word to say to one another.

FYI I'm actually quite computer iterate and hold an COMPTIA A+ certification but I've never seen this problem before and am actually unsure whether its a hardware or software issue, i.e. does anyone know if the keyboard actually should switch off midway through the windows boot sequence?

Well in that case the A+ can't be worth the paper it's written on, which looking at it is pretty much as I assumed.

It's not rocket science that if your keyboard isn't working properly try sticking a different one on it and see if that's any different, even my 8 year old kid would do that. It seems these days that e-goat is becoming a replacement for google search.

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Well in that case the A+ can't be worth the paper it's written on, which looking at it is pretty much as I assumed.

It's not rocket science that if your keyboard isn't working properly try sticking a different one on it and see if that's any different, even my 8 year old kid would do that. It seems these days that e-goat is becoming a replacement for google search.

Just delete the fcukin thread then for crying out loud if its bothering you THAT much.

G

gemarriott

I know you're kidding but I don't want a p1ssing contest over a simple question Gem. I'm sorry I asked in the first place.

trouble is we're in no man's land aren't we? Christmas is finished and we're all fcuking bored and snappy.

Well I know I am

lisab

Girlie Brosette Mod - I owe you nothing...oooh ah!
trouble is we're in no man's land aren't we? Christmas is finished and we're all fcuking bored and snappy.

Well I know I am

Off Topic So whats your excuse for the rest of the year!!!:PDT_Xtremez_15:

Back