• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Knee Injury

madmac

LAC
Hi there

This is my first post on the site, just trying to find out something before i pledge my life away lol

I had a recent knee injury and found out i have fluid in my knee. Does anyone know if removing this is means for you not to be accepted into the RAF or if its just operations only???

Thanks

Stu

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Speaking from the perspective of a knee problem sufferer , your main issue is not the fluid on the knee, but why it chose to collect there in the first place (which is usually indicative of another problem in that region). If you reveal it, they will want to know....

If it's just a bump that brought it about, all well and good. Otherwise, my advice: seek out the counsel of smarter people than me, preferrably medical people. You pretty much need both of them to be in full working order to get through.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Regardless of how it got there it did...If it stops you entering the RAF then it does...all you can do is apply and find out as hiding it is not an option.

At least once you do you will know and be able to move forward one way or the other.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Only a qualified medical professional can make that decision for you. However, with entry into the RAF becoming stricter and stricter, a waiver may not be issued to let you commence with the process. The only thing you can do really is apply and let the doctor assess you at the medical.

madmac

LAC
The injury was done playing football, studs stuck in grass knee went one way foot stayed in same place, got diagnosed with a strained lateral ligament. Been and had x-rays and a MRI everything is intact but just seem to have a bit of fluid round the knee. Im just hoping that by getting this removed wouldnt harm my chances of joining.

Thanx for the replys guys

C

cssr10

I would say you will be fine as long as the symptoms dissapear, i have just got over a hernia operation and 3 months later I got the go ahead from the raf doctor, so as long as you get rid of the fluid and its not a reocurring I cant see it being a problem!

C

crazylazyme

to OP,

i suffer from osgood schlatters disease, which is a big problem wherever on the body you happen to have it, it just so happens that i suffer from it on both my knees. i can and have run the 1.5 miles in less than the required time of 10.30, the big question is can you? and will you still be 'combat effective' after it?

its all down to the individual. fluid is nothing really, just mean you've over done it and will gone down with some rest, if it's a persistent problem then i would seek medical help.

then again i've also had a niggle in my hand for 2 years after an 'unfortunate accident' with someone's face and it turns out i broke it and should have had something done about it sooner to quote the doctor. now i'll forever have 'over sensitive nerves' in my hands.

my point is if you think its serious enough to have a lasting effect on your pursuit to do a physically demanding job then get it checked out by the doctor, if not stop ****ting you pants and get on with it.

madmac

LAC
Cheers for the replys guys.
Went to the physio and he seemed to work wonders with it, said i had some crap around my knee so he broke it down and it feels much better. Phoned up and my application has started.
Cheers again for the help

Back