• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laptop Blu-Ray problem

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Hi,

Got this Acer Aspire 6920G off of ebay....good price but had a few probs. The guy who had it before had put on vista ultimate but deleted the acer recovery stuff so i couldn't put it back to factory settings (it was coming up with numerous error on shutdown) so bought a copy of Windows 7 and installed no probs. Went to the Acer website to try and get all the associated drivers and none there for windows 7 so used the vista home 32 ones and all seems good....went to ATI site for video again all good. None of the acer management software would install.

Now this has a blu ray drive so i bought a film to try and have just tried it (2 weeks later) and it won't play.....

My question is does the blu ray drive need a driver or is it just a matter of downloading some viewing software (I did try Corel WinDVD that says it plays blu ray but that wouldn't work either).

Any ideas or help welcome.......

Shugster

Warrant Officer
You could try VLC media player. I'm guessing that the Blu ray needs its own driver too. Does it tell you the model type in hardware manager?

B

Bungala_The_Third

I have that same laptop, you can donload the acer software called acer arcade deluxe from here and that should work, not sure about with windows 7 but miht be ok, I also use the latest power dvd which works better than the acer software.

hope that helps

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I have that same laptop, you can donload the acer software called acer arcade deluxe from here and that should work, not sure about with windows 7 but miht be ok, I also use the latest power dvd which works better than the acer software.

hope that helps

Thanks that might just be what I was looking for.......however at over 100 meg in size it'll have to wait till I get home......oh well something to look forward to in 2 weeks :-)

Cheers all for the replies....will let you know what works eventually !

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
VLC's ok, but you're better off with PowerDVD or the like.

VLC mostly uses cpu and software encoding, where as proper Blu-ray players will fully utilise your graphics card hardware. Plus, if you're ripping blu-rays to hard drive, the latest VLC don't like playing them.

VLC's ok, but you're better off with PowerDVD or the like.

VLC mostly uses cpu and software encoding, where as proper Blu-ray players will fully utilise your graphics card hardware. Plus, if you're ripping blu-rays to hard drive, the latest VLC don't like playing them.

I will second PowerDVD its what I use and I have no issues. However, I really do need to upgrade my laptop because it is running at max and is struggling with new technology but wor lass is dead against it. What do women know!!!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Resolved

Resolved

Downloaded the acer arcade deluxe software and works a treat on Windows 7.

Thanks all for your help.....donation to the charity fund incomming...

Back