• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laptop keyboard help

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Anyone know how to clean out sh1te from under certain keys on a lap top? My lovely daughter, in her widom decided to use the laptop with jammy fingers which has got under the 'R, 4 and 5' keys, which is causing them to stick down or not make contact poperly. I've lifted the keys slightly to look underneath, but don't want to take the keys fully off to clean them if I have to as the laptop is only 2 months old.

Over to you....

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Use a blunt flat knife and gently 'lever' off the keys then clean underneath - take note of key positions otherwise typing afterwards could be interesting!

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Anyone know how to clean out sh1te from under certain keys on a lap top? My lovely daughter, in her widom decided to use the laptop with jammy fingers which has got under the 'R, 4 and 5' keys, which is causing them to stick down or not make contact poperly. I've lifted the keys slightly to look underneath, but don't want to take the keys fully off to clean them if I have to as the laptop is only 2 months old.

Over to you....

Sorry never had a Laptop or needed to remove keys but surely if only 2 moths old, take it back and say "the keys started sticking".......just my thoughts....

Crack on..............:PDT_Xtremez_09:

M

mad_mo

Use a blunt flat knife and gently 'lever' off the keys then clean underneath - take note of key positions otherwise typing afterwards could be interesting!

I can take my whole keyboard off my laptop and just blow all the crap out. No need to take buttons off.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
But surely the man in question can't - otherwise he wouldn't be asking? :PDT_Xtremez_27:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All I was (trying) to say is that even if you can remove your keyboard as a unit - your problem is debris de jammy dodger in between the keys right?

So therefore you will still have to lever them off surely?:PDT_Xtremez_34:

At least the handbag fighting is good natured eh? lol

T

Tom S

Over to you....

Several ways,

Keyboard in situ use an electrical contact style cleaner, maplins do an aerosol. DO NOT TURN THE LAPTOP ON until you are sure it is dry.

or

Remove keyboard and do as above (easier to dry, blow warm air through keys).

or

Take it to local independant and let them do it for you.

I have manuals (PDF) for most models, PM me if required.

ITgeek

LAC
ffs , its simple , just take a flat nife or screw driver gently under the key pop it off clean it off with a slightly damp cloth and dry(with a dry cloth), then replace keys .

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
ffs , its simple , just take a flat nife or screw driver gently under the key pop it off clean it off with a slightly damp cloth and dry(with a dry cloth), then replace keys .

Praise be, are you some sort of guardian lol

ITgeek

LAC
yeah something like that i as my nick says an it geek , sorry i just get this all the time from customers in my work , you should hear some of the questions i have, today i had a guy screaming at me that his sound didn't work in vista , during this rant he admited that he hadn't had speakers plugged in , lol :)

feel freee to ask me anything about computers , i get army people in from local afco in looking for help for free, cheeky buggers

Last edited:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Most laptop keys can be carefully levered off, just take it slowly, you may have to exert some gentle pressure but don't force it.
Keyboards can also be removed, but some laptops I have worked on, can be an enormous pain in the arse.
Best bet is to try to gently remove a key that you don't use to check how it all works, then when you're sure pop off the offending ones and give them a clean with a cotton bud and some contact cleaner.
GRF at Lyneham usually have some pretty good cleaning kit about, or may even give you a hand if you ask nicely. I know their SNEC (his name eludes me at the Mo) is pretty handy with computers, I'd give him a bell.
PS don't blame me if you f@ck it all up BTW, and FFS don't use soapy water.

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
listen in yopus fonz blok. yous are thik as cheese, just hit thems leter boad with a golf stik, and thems will fell of. that wht i did when i get valoline on mines keyplayed. but i puty thmes bak in the rong plaise by mistake

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Vaseline? WTF did you need to lube your keyboard for?
In fact, don't tell me, I can live without that thought.:PDT_Xtremez_34:

H

Homer's Right Hand Man

Several ways,

Keyboard in situ use an electrical contact style cleaner, maplins do an aerosol. DO NOT TURN THE LAPTOP ON until you are sure it is dry.

or

Remove keyboard and do as above (easier to dry, blow warm air through keys).

or

Take it to local independant and let them do it for you.

or

Chuck it down the stairs & claim on the insurance! :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Back