• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laptop wanted

• Thread starter Thread starter pie sandwich
  • Start date Start date
P

pie sandwich

I just wanted to know if there is anyone who can help me out I am after a laptop, nowt fancy just for Office app's and internet thats all.

So I wanted to know if anyone had one for sale or knew where I can get my hands on one, I am only looking to spend a couple of hundred £250 - £300 max.

The thing is I don't fancy buying from E-bay due to the fact I dont trust them due to the fact you never know just who your dealing with and don't want to get ripped off.

Any help would be great.

I Look Like Kevin Costner

Grand Prix fanatic..
I just wanted to know if there is anyone who can help me out I am after a laptop, nowt fancy just for Office app's and internet thats all.

So I wanted to know if anyone had one for sale or knew where I can get my hands on one, I am only looking to spend a couple of hundred £250 - £300 max.

The thing is I don't fancy buying from E-bay due to the fact I dont trust them due to the fact you never know just who your dealing with and don't want to get ripped off.

Any help would be great.

Go and buy a new one (Dell or any outlet). they will all do what you want and are selling for about £320ish. You cannot go wrong with a new one cos it will have guarantees of at least a year. (I don't bother with the additional sh*te, thats what home insurance is for!). Inserted Dells link, but try all the other outlets.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Grand Prix fanatic..
This one is slightly over but got good spec:
http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product...1235&session=df86bf853357988df9742ddae29ce63e

As the others have said, dell is selling one for £329 if you remove the cover to basic.

Gray

Wouldn't touch an IBM as far as I could throw it. Got that stupid red mouse button still in the middle like the 21 and 31. RAF uses them for LITS IRW and they are a pain(Yes I know the RAF and IBM fcuked up the software and with all the protection stuff on them, they are a worse nightmare that a civvy one would be with normal windows) , I wouldn't go and buy a civvy one.:PDT_Xtremez_42:

G

gemarriott

I got a decent laptop fr tesco for 300. does what I want but can't get the wireless stuff to work yet as AOL and vista don't agree.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Can I own to to buying a laptop from PC World please?? :PDT_Xtremez_09:

It cost me £350 and does everything you ecpext it to. The only downside is that it came with Microsoft Works, but I've just bought a copy of Office 2003 from the MoD home use programme for £19, problem solved.

C

Comms_Lad

It cost me £350 and does everything you ecpext it to. The only downside is that it came with Microsoft Works, but I've just bought a copy of Office 2003 from the MoD home use programme for £19, problem solved.

If you want decent office software, try OpenOffice.org, its completely free and does more than MS office does it gives you the option to save your files in several different formats so that they are compatible with all other office programs. Have a look at the minimum requirements for Open Office compared to MS Office 03 and you will also see that you will save a lot of space and computer resources using it as well.

O

Olovv

Wouldn't touch an IBM as far as I could throw it. Got that stupid red mouse button still in the middle like the 21 and 31. RAF uses them for LITS IRW and they are a pain(Yes I know the RAF and IBM fcuked up the software and with all the protection stuff on them, they are a worse nightmare that a civvy one would be with normal windows) , I wouldn't go and buy a civvy one.:PDT_Xtremez_42:

They are OK when you get used to them, I prefer them to the little pad that will randomly double click for you

M

MetalMonkey

Acer do nice lappys, the lower spec ones are in your price range.

As someone else said, Acer machines often crop up in Tesco and are well worth a look.

N

NotAnIDOYet

Any details of this please fomz

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Metal Monkey just posted the link for you above.

Its an intranet only link.

Once registered make sure you click on the Home use program at the bottom of the page (its £19) otherwise if you click on the one above its a couple of hundred quid.

Its only valid for one computer, but for £19 who's moaning. Even if you've got 3 computers that need it,£57 is still cheaper than a couple of hundred.

Grand Prix fanatic..
They are OK when you get used to them, I prefer them to the little pad that will randomly double click for you

However, there is better looking and user friendly models from other manufacturers and how many times have you wanted to launch an A31 out of the window in Oman and Jordan!!:PDT_Xtremez_31:

Back