• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Linking two computers together

I would like to connect my laptop(XP pro) to a normal computer (XP home) with the intention of playing games one against the other.

I've tried this using an ethernet cable and have run the connection wizard which didn't seem to work.

Any help greatly appreciated

NW

W

Wonky Tonka

I bought a usb cross-over cable thingy to allow me to connect my laptop & an old desktop together so that I could transfer files. Only cost a few quid from the local PC bits shop.

Simply connect the USB plugs to each machine, run the software supplied with it and there you go. Connected, satis.

Not sure how it would work with gaming, but maybe worth a shot?

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I had some problems doing this due to incompatible firewalls, If you do not require internet access during your gaming try turning off your firewalls and internet security.

Parky

Corporal
I would like to connect my laptop(XP pro) to a normal computer (XP home) with the intention of playing games one against the other.

I've tried this using an ethernet cable and have run the connection wizard which didn't seem to work.

Any help greatly appreciated

NW

The cheapest route is for a cross over Ethernet cable, probably the best route is to buy a Router, Or better still a modem router and link through that, I say a modem router is best coz it is about the same price and you can link to the net with multiple computers at the same time.

Not sure the USB crossover would work for games but may be wrong.

rugby then work

Cider Drinker
Was the ethernet cable you used a crossover or was it straight through??

Crossover has the TX and RX pins crossed, straight through doesn't.

On a crossover pins 1 & 2 become 3 & 6 and 3 & 6 become 1 & 2

(1 & 2 are the Orange/White and Orange and 3 & 6 are the Green/White and Green)

Last edited:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
If you have a router, then connect both computers to it via Ethernet cable.

Put them in the same workgroup/domain. Job done.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
If you have a router, then connect both computers to it via Ethernet cable.

Put them in the same workgroup/domain. Job done.
You mentioned routter cable ,if you plug both computers into the router(using straight through cables) you can do it that way, what game you running etc and that would be helpful. You do not need to be in the same workgroup, this is mainly related to creating home office networks, games tend not to use it.(no offence weeble).

Last edited:
Back