• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Making the Leap

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Following on from Phixer Girls post before the site went down,

Has anyone made the transition from mil to civ aircraft / airlines.

If so, please share your experiences, give advice and offer any hints and tips from those who have made the leap to those who are contemplating it.

TW

burglar

SAC
Making the leap

Making the leap

I left the mob in 89 after nearly 7 years as a single skill mech/liney on Tornado and went to work at Hunting aviation at East Mids Airport (gone under now) fitting out Jetstream 31 and eventually rewiring VC10 for the mob. All I can say is that if you have experience on types with a civil equivalent then you shouldn't have too much trouble however when I had an interview at Monarch I knew I was screwed when they asked me what exp I had on in flight entertainment!! CVR changes didn't count apparently!!! Agencies are a good way to get on but you will need your own tools. Am now trying to get back into it after 13 years as old bill (don't ask?) and it is a nightmare:PDT_Xtremez_06:
Working at Hunting though was mega, better pay than the mob (then) and you get paid for overtime! My last years salary with o/t in 1993 was 17.5k!!
Pay rates don't seem to have changed much in the interim though.
also go for licences without type rating that will give a better than even chance, some firms will have their own set up for that so it works out cheaper.
Also try and get a relevant resettlement course (did welding-- no use but mega fun!!)
Good luck to everyone making the jump to civvy street-- just remember it's a whole different world out here. Been there,seen it and done it.

D

dodgysootie

Following on from Phixer Girls post before the site went down,

Has anyone made the transition from mil to civ aircraft / airlines.

TW

And on a similar line. Has anyone made the transition from man to woman!!

P

PHIXER GIRL

I left NLS C shift, ISK in 91 and had my 1st ticket before leaving. LWTR cat R comms +radar. At that time cat R techies were getting paid a stack. I then went contracting and slowly added the rest. All singing and dancing licence collector me. Contracting then was worth a wheelbarrow to take your gold to the bank. I had a Porsche 911, virtually brand new, a Snap on tool box and a TV with a dual IF strip to use in any country in Europe. 28 K and a company appartment with all bills paid. Not bad for a starter in 91.

Sorry but I can't mention names but the agency was set up in London for a front to fiddle the tax man. Nuff said about that.

Went flying for 6 years as a flight engineer and made even more dosh. Now still with the same company since 91 and it's great.

My advice is, get your basic B1 or B2 before leaving the RAF or while contracting then go from there. You may be unlicensed but you will de - programme the RAF from your system which you must do, perhaps with the help of mary jane and her pals in a sort of technical classroom haze that teaches you respect for the civvy contracter. Me, I NEVER sniffed that girl but joined in with gin and tonics. ( took serious **** for that )

Had many a technical discussion well into the next sunrise on how we would tackle the on going snags that no one could fix.

Make a name for yourself as a fixer and reputation will get you everywhere. Your rank in the RAF is irrelevant and it's probably better if your younger and less set in the cantankerous old chief manner because they'll gun for you higher in rank you achieved. Keep your mouth shut and NEVER say - well in the RAF we used to do it this way. Bite your bottom lip and go with the flow till you eventually direct the flow yourself.

Me, Im now as high as I'm going to get in my company. Which is great as I rarely break a sweat or nail nowadays.

Good luck to your transition to the world of civvy airplanes.

GO CONTRACTING. IT MAKES SENSE.

Marie. xx.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thanks Phixer girl and Burglar.

Some good points there.

De programming? Explain please PG.

As for the long term old chiefs, sgts, cpls, JTs and now the SAC techs who are getting out,

PLEASE REALISE THAT YOUR EXPERIENCE MEANS F**K ALL OUT HERE IN THE REAL WORLD.

Bumped into a guy the other week who was an ex sgt and left a year or so ago.

We both applied for a contract on 737s

I do remember him clearly telling me how his 25 years experience in the RAF would get him ought he wanted as opposed to my measly 10 years service with FIVE civvy in the bag.

Guess who now earns obscene money? Me or Sargey bloke?

TW

PS, why do all the old soaks try to exert rank and "when I was blah blah blah" onto the ones of us who actually left the RAF?

Comments please Oh wise ones.

Last edited:

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
errmm,

Speaking as an ex-sargey bloke! (but not that one I hope!)

I did 24 years in, and left in 99 with three A&C LWTR's and walked straight into QA for five years getting 737 classics on the way.
Now doing 75/76 & 320/321 work for quite a sum.

Phixer Girl is right - but you don't have to be that young - just able to switch from service to Civvy quickly and positively.

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hoped that you would post a reply Rigga.

Comments not aimed at yerself obviously, but to the " I know better cos I did X years crowd"

Get what I mean?

TW

G

gemarriott

I dare say it depends a lot as to ahose desk you finish in front of come interview time. Not too many plumber jobs in civvy street so beyond BAE and Airworks in the gulf when I came out I was offered 3 jobs,

extruding plastic pipe for Dupont, cracking shifts cack pay nothing plumber related

Inspecting jet engines for rolls royce on the test beds, again cracking shifts but cack pay and to be quite honest a job I don't think I was suited for

shift Chargehand in a bulk oxygen plant. cracking pay, cracking shifts and totally unlike anything else I had ever done. Even more scary than some of the RAF stuff at times.

Pays to look beyond your RAF trade.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Oh dear!
Just how predictable am I?

Gemmarriott, Agreed.
We all have "Transferable Skills" we can use outside our RAF Trades But whether we wish to change is also another consideration - I know an ex- bombhead who is now in quite a senior post for a large aircraft maintenance company - as the H&S Rep.
Quite honestly, thats a Job that many others could do - but do they want to?

I remember going down route many times as a lowly Cpl on Tristar’s listening to the GE’s spout on about how great they were and how their many years of experience would be so widely recognised outside. It is these types of individuals who think Civvy Street owes them a favour. 20 odd years in the mob counts for nothing. The status and responsibility you once held is not immediately transferable and to that end it can seem like starting all over again. You will have to work as a mechanic, study for your licence and get some experience of working large civil aircraft before certifying positions and 40k plus salaries become a reality.

I PVR’d after 10 years, had enough so voted with my feet. I left as a Cpl with a fair amount of responsibilty but this counted for nothing when I started employment as a civilian. I turned up on my first day of shift and couldn’t sign or stamp for anything. Suddenly I was the guy being told what to do and licensed engineers were certifying my work. I accepted the fact that I was an unknown quantity and until I proved myself, a mechanic I would stay.

Now nearly 18 months on I still work for the same airline but have a full B1 licence and am earning a decent wage, which reflects my level of responsibility. Careers in civil aviation for ex military types can be very rewarding providing you adopt the correct attitude. Rigga has hit the nail on the head, the key to making a successful transition is the ability to adapt. Knuckle down, prove your worth and the opportunities and rewards will come your way.

Back