• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malicious Software

Hi, there are a number of malicious programs running on my computer, some potentially spyware and trojan horses according to what i've researched. When it comes to removing them is it possible/wise to "end process" through the task manager then delete it from the location it has saved itself in?

Any help greatly appreciated.

NW

M

monobrow

usually it's best to google the name of the process or .exe as there may be specific removal tools / instructions.

With some not very nice programs, they will replicate themselves on delete so research is always good.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
You might like to try the freeby : "AdAware".
It's good and it does what it says on the tin.

P

pie sandwich

Have you got a good AV scanner?

It might be a good idea to buy something like AVG, I used the free version for years but bought it and downloaded it and it is fully packed, plus they send you a back up disc in the post, I ve had no probs what so ever.

G

grumpyoldb

I'm with Mono, and Pie on this one.

For years, I paid for Kaspersky av software but now use AVG.
It is as good as anything out there.

P

pie sandwich

To be honest I work in IT we use mcafee and its good but only because we update it

chiefy

Corporal
Think i'll give AVG a try

Thanks for the help

AVG is riddled with problems since they went commercial with the home use software, not least that it does slow your computer down.

I have now installed avast on the recommendation of a geek friend and it immediately discovered 4 trojans AVG had missed. The very first time you run it after restarting your machine it will run and scan from boot without loading windows and then attempt to remove all trojans, viruses and malicious software. get it for free from here: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

I still use AVG anti-spyware that I pay a few quid each year for as I've not found anything else as effective and unitrusive.

After considering the options i've opted for McAfee which has led to a new problem...

We used to have Norton on it and in order to install McAfee Norton has to be removed which is proving difficult. I went through the add/remove program option which didn't work even though I ended the relevant process (through task manager). I then deleted all the Norton files via My Computer. It's still in the add/remove program list, so what am I doing wrong?

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
After considering the options i've opted for McAfee which has led to a new problem...

We used to have Norton on it and in order to install McAfee Norton has to be removed which is proving difficult. I went through the add/remove program option which didn't work even though I ended the relevant process (through task manager). I then deleted all the Norton files via My Computer. It's still in the add/remove program list, so what am I doing wrong?

By doing that you have no uninstallation file for windows to read so it can't delete it. I'm not sure, but I think Spybot will let you remove the now rogue entry. :PDT_Xtremez_28:

G

grumpyoldb

Have you still got the installation files for Norton?
You could try installing it again, reboot the PC, then uninstall from the add/remove list.

It sounds like some of the files were missing, which will stop it from uninstalling.

If that works you should get a good install of your new AV.

Good luck.

teej

LAC
Norton Removal Tool

Norton Removal Tool

Go to the Symantec site :

http://www.symantec.com/index.jsp

search for the "Norton Removal Tool"

Click on one of the "Download and run the Norton Removal Tool" links

Pick your product & follow the instuctions.

Personally i use Kaspersky Internet Security, cos it works ok, & its free if you use Barclays online banking...

Luck wrestling with your plastic monstrosity...

Last edited:
Back