• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Map USB Drive as a COM Port

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
I have acquired a Safecom GPS 'dongle' for attaching to a laptop running Vista.

The interface is Compact Flash (CF slot is showing in the Device Mangler as a USB Drive), but the CF slot on the laptop needs to be mapped as a COM Port, preferably as COM 1.

Any wizards out there that can help?

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I would have thought that the driver would do it all for you.

Have you looked at the supplier website to check if there's an updated driver or any known issues with vista?

The messages are output from the GPS module in a standard format that a com port can handle directly, but these will probably have another format for the USB data transfer.

My suspicions are on the driver.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
You may need to disable(or renumber) any COM ports already in use in the system, this can be achieved using device manager and calling up the properties for the appropriate device.

have a look in device manager and see how many com devices you see.

Shug, chances are the GPS module will be outputing NMEA format data as per most GPS devices, i agree that the driver should probably do the mapping for him.

Back