• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Maths problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Wantingtojoin
  • Start date Start date
W

Wantingtojoin

Hi Everyone,

I have just signed up to this forum. Not eally sure how it all works but just hoping to hear from anyone with any advice on joining as an RAF officer. I attended an AFCO in May and due to not having maths GCSE even though I hold a degree and almost a phd would hold me back. I still can't get desire to join out of my head and am just wondering has anyone else encountered similar problems? I am most interested in Training officer/Personnel support. But more i read more regiment appeals

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
What ya got

What ya got

If you have a higher level maths qual then there may be a bit of lee way.

Your AFCO will send of the details of your qual to hq and have it checked out.

If you haven't then get to your local adult college and resit your GCSE, Level 2 numeracy don't count.

Entropy

Sergeant
Just sit the GCSE exam

Just sit the GCSE exam

I was in the same boat as you, degree and no basic Maths. Believe me this has been a constant niggle in my conscience for the last 20 years (showing my age here). It has also prevented me from applying for some jobs, who knows where I would be if I only had my Maths O level.

This is what I did:
I mailed Edexcel and asked them for a list of centers that allow "private candidates". You find one near to you and hand over some money. They then enrole you for the exam and let you sit it at their center.

I sat my GCSE in Nov and the results are being posted out tomorrow. I followed this route as I wanted to sit the exam ASAP and no course ran for the November exams. So I enroled as a private candidate and bought some revision books from Amazon then revised for 8 weeks.

The qualifications section of the RAF application form has an expected exams result field, just fill it out with what you think you will get. Also it will show your AFCO your commitment.

So my advice is to do it and do it as soon as you can.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Regardless of whether or not you have a degree, or whatever, if you do not have the GCSE requirement (or equivalent) you will not be accepted.

Back