• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

medical histroy

• Thread starter Thread starter tenakakhan1989
  • Start date Start date
T

tenakakhan1989

hello, im not sure if this is the best place to post this question but hopefully its ok.
i applied to join the army a year and half ago but got rejected on medical grounds, i had history of depression and medication, even some time in a psychiatric ward.
so i did other things and worked etc.
but now more time has passed i have come back to the idea of joining the military but would rather go for an raf job as wsop linguist as im good at spanish and naturally good at languages.
i was told by army i had to be 4 years clear, i am now about 3 years clear of medical problems. is the raf more tolerant of leniant in this regard? because when i phoned afco they said the same thing the army said, which was you have to be 3-4 years clear of illnesses, the guy wasnt sure.
so based on that i should assume i wont get in? or does the raf look at these issues differently based more on individual circumstances? becasue ive been fine now for so long that i cant rele remember when i didnt feel fine!
any advice from ppl who are in the recruitment side of things would be really appreciated.

thanks

JPJ83

SAC
The rules on suitability for military service are the same across all three services, although the exact requirements vary from job to job.

Worth asking the questions at an AFCO medical.

R

Reformed Scribbly

We are no less strict on these matters than our counterparts in green. If you are unclear on the answer that the AFCO gave you, contact them back and ask for clarification.

As an aside we are not currently recruiting for WSOp Linguists and are unlikely to until next year.

Best thing to do will be to contact the AFCO for more guidance. Remember they are not medically trained, however are able to seek advice to ensure they are not giving you inaccurate information. Also without wishing to be too picky, if you are interested in a language role, don't forget that your command of the english language needs to be equally strong as your ability to learn foreign languages.

Good luck in the future.

Back