• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Medical Support Officers

C

Cup of Tea

Hi guys,
I know there's already a thread on here about MSO's but it was from Aug last year. I've heard that the branch has changed quite a bit since then on some sort of training overhaul. Also the last thread just seemed to be filled with people making fun of MSO's and not a single constructive comment.

So, I'm a currently serving CMT with the army (see my introduction post on the introduction board). My application is already in and I have my presentation next week. I've been told I need to gen up on the RAF as a whole but also about the job I'm applying for. Now, being an army bod, I don't know much about you guys, but the internet is a wonderful tool.

I'm looking for an MSO who can tell me:-
1) how much hands-on medical work they do.
2) Deployment opportunities. Been told 2 different things on the grape vine. One that we don't go anywhere and if you do, it's a rarity. The other side says that because there are so few MSO's about, we are on deployment as often as poss. Neither of these view points was from a serving MSO so I take each with a handful of salt.

My other questions are about the aplication process in general, so I'll put them in the respective board.

Thanks in advance

Cup

ninjarabbi

Warrant Officer
The reason we make fun of MSOs? Because we can! There are currently 83 serving MSOs in the medical branch but I have heard tell that they want to expand. They do deploy but there aren't that many posts OOA for them so if you did get in it could be a while. As to 'hands-on' medical stuff, they don't. There's is more policy, office, managerial-based work so if you like being in an office, it's the job for you!