• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Merlins!

I've been told by the powers at Binsworth that there a quite a few places coming up at the Merlin Sqn in Oxfordshire and that there's a good chance that when RAF N. Yorks closes we're all going there. The questions that I could do with answering are:-
a. Should I apply before I'm pushed?
b. As the Merlin is new is it easy to work on?
c. Do you now get extra pay for working on helicopters?
d. Is it true that you can spent up to three months a year deployed?

I've supported heli's before but I've never worked on proper SH before so any help would be cool.

Goaty

Corporal
You don't get extra pay for SH and it's 3 months away if you're lucky (up to 6 in Big Windy land).

D

Disillusioned

A) Only if you're desperate. If you don't apply there's a slim chance you might get posted somewhere else.

B) It's been a while since I was there. Piece of cake for sooties, not so much for riggers. DF's used to change a lot of landing lams but seeing as they were in stock very often they never got changed that often and fairies NFF'd absolutely everything. But to be fair that was when it first came in and the spares system wasn't set up properly and things might have changed.

C) You're having a laugh right?

D) Upto to 3 months? More like atleast 3 months.

The other thing I'd watch out for is whether you go to the established squadron or the one forming up. Having been on a squadron that was forming up it was one of the worst times in my career workwise.

Back