• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Miscarriage of Justice??

Sniffer

Super Moderator
OK, Ive just been reading about the Sean Hodges case, the bloke who has just been released after serving 27 years and new DNA evidence proving he didnt do it.

My problem is that this man now has free licence to sue the FSS and I feel pretty pi$$ed off that this will come from the public purse.

OK the man did 27 years for something he didn't do. However, he confessed! Not even whilst under duress. He was serving another sentence at the time for theft.

The DNA technology that cleared him was not available at the time and OK fair play 10 years ago when he appealed the FSS screwed up and stated that the evidence no longer exists. But again..... the man confessed!

I just dont know what to think on this one, I can't make my mind up, so I will throw it out to the goat for opinions.

stingray888

Sergeant
He confessed because he had a mental problem and, in those days probably had the sh1t kicked out of him by the local constabulary.
He surely deserves something.

He may have confessed but the alleged evidence supporting the claim was paper thin at best. I'm sure his mental problems were known at the time of the trial too.

I think he definitely deserves something he'll never get those 27 years of his lfe back after all.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
One of the interesting things that I noticed about the Josef Fritzel case is that in Austria, a confession doesn't hold anywhere near the weight that it does in the Uk.
In fact, a confession on it's own without substantial supportive evidence is virtually worthless.
Not a bad idea I suppose.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
OK, Ive just been reading about the Sean Hodges case, the bloke who has just been released after serving 27 years and new DNA evidence proving he didn't do it.

My problem is that this man now has free licence to sue the FSS and I feel pretty pi$$ed off that this will come from the public purse.

Personally, I figure the 'compensation' should be so-many years at the average wage for whatever his occupation was plus a little for 'injured feelings'. This should be automatic and he should not have to sue for it.

In his particular case, maybe minus a bit for his 'confession'.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
Bit hard that one, the guys has a severe mental imbalance. So much so that he confessed to a murder he didn't commit.

I think you may have better luck with Gem, or Tashy.

wes_cov

LAC
27 years behind bars how can you expect him to integrate back into society? if his head was already screwed up before that.

he certainly deserves something though i'm not sure how it will help the situation

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
This should be automatic and he should not have to sue for it.

Whatever the final figure I'm pretty sure he won't have to sue for it, his lawyers will negotiate a pretty reasonable sum to compensate him for 27 years loss of liberty. And I'll wager it will be a damned sight more than he would have earned plus a 'bit' extra.

Bitburger

England 2010 Campaign
1000+ Posts
To quote the Sweeny

'I didn't do it Mr Regan'

'Shut up you slag, you know you didn't do, I know you didn't do it, but some one has to go down for it,

The standard deal in this sort of case, I believe, is automatic compensation - the figure arrived at by a complicated formula.

This amount is then reduced by a not inconsiderable amount to account for 'board and lodgings' whilst inside.

Odie

Sergeant
Put yourself in his shoes, simple really.

Too right, he deserves some compensation for all those years because of lazy policing - a conviction purely on a confession not supported by evidence is shaky because there are always nutters that'd confess to anything. :PDT_Xtremez_21: Lucky for him we no longer have capital punishment. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

D

double_dd

He may have been mentally unstable when he confessed but I'm sure plenty of people have confessed to things if they think it's going to get the sentance shortened - plainly because of the fact that he would be sent away no matter what he said.

I can't even imagine that length of time in a prison :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
He confessed and went down for it, no duress involved.
NEW DNA evidence says he didn't do it, therefore the real criminal got away with it for at least 27 years, that's aiding and abetting and wasting Police time. Sentence him to 27 years and release as time served.

E

elnino

Govt legislation at the moment is; If you been banged up for 7 yrs or under, the max you can get is 500g's, if however it is ten years or more, then the max I think is 1000,000.

Personally, i think he should get his bus fare home and told not to lie again or else!!!!!!!!!

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
If they had just hung him, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
Would have saved 27 years B&B and this compo claim.
On top of that he would have learned an important lesson about lying.
Result all round I think.

Sniffer

Super Moderator
Thank you for the last three replies. Makes me think I'm not so bad........ But then again, I look at who has posted the last three replies and now I think were all going to hell. First one there gets the drinks in! :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
If they had just hung him, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.
Would have saved 27 years B&B and this compo claim.
On top of that he would have learned an important lesson about lying.
Result all round I think.

And they would not have bothered with DNA testing. . . . . .

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All compo should be minus his food and board though...

He'd better have kept his receipts as well...:PDT_Xtremez_42:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Thank you for the last three replies. Makes me think I'm not so bad........ But then again, I look at who has posted the last three replies and now I think were all going to hell. First one there gets the drinks in! :PDT_Xtremez_28:

That'll be me then ::D: Although my Auntie seems to think I'm here because the Devil won't have me ! :PDT_Xtremez_15:

I'm sorry but I stand by my post. He freely admitted to a crime he didn't commit, there should be absolutely NO question of compensation. Simple or not, he interfered with an ongoing investigation and the guilty person eluded justice.

Do Lap dancers give receipts Vim ? :PDT_Xtremez_31:

Back