• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MOD to compensate thousands due to hearing loss

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I'm going through this process at the moment and am almost complete. I'm just waiting on the Hearing Aid Report to come back.

My hearing loss is assessed as moderate and with the accompanying Tinnitus, requires a decent hearing aid (which can fit under my ear duffs for work and be used in SECRET environments) which at age 44 is a bit of a bugger but hey ho.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
"The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has opposed many claims made by veterans experiencing hearing loss, arguing other sources of noise were to blame, individuals should have worn protection or their claims were too late. Now it has accepted exposure to noise in the military has been a cause of hearing loss and that people discharged after 1987 could be eligible for compensation."

After many years around ground runs, see off's etc and lots and lots of rivet hammers I'm a hard of hearing old duffer and I de-mobbed after 1987. So what steps do you take to get started on the process? Any pointers from those already in the system?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
"The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has opposed many claims made by veterans experiencing hearing loss, arguing other sources of noise were to blame, individuals should have worn protection or their claims were too late. Now it has accepted exposure to noise in the military has been a cause of hearing loss and that people discharged after 1987 could be eligible for compensation."

After many years around ground runs, see off's etc and lots and lots of rivet hammers I'm a hard of hearing old duffer and I de-mobbed after 1987. So what steps do you take to get started on the process? Any pointers from those already in the system?
Plenty of solicitors taking these cases up as like typical sharks, they smell blood in the water. There is a time limit on this sort of thing though so be prepared to be disappointed as they could just as easy attribute your loss to simple aging.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
they could just as easy attribute your loss to simple aging.
Correct hearing loss is function of age for all of us. There is a known downwards curve due to age they are hopefully looking for those that show to be below that curve. In the final years I was like a drowning man clutching at the curve and in my last two years I seriously doubt that my test rsults really were a pass.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Correct hearing loss is function of age for all of us. There is a known downwards curve due to age they are hopefully looking for those that show to be below that curve. In the final years I was like a drowning man clutching at the curve and in my last two years I seriously doubt that my test rsults really were a pass.
My readings are of a 60 year old man according to the independent leading ENT Doctor that examined me and performed a much more in depth audio gram. A lot of the medical docs of all of my readings done in the Mob are gibberish at best and in many cases not even signed off properly by the doctor, just SAC(W) such and such.

So when (if) I actually reach my 60's I'm probably going to be sporting one of those massive trumpets to stick in my ear.

What fun.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm going through this process at the moment and am almost complete. I'm just waiting on the Hearing Aid Report to come back.

My hearing loss is assessed as moderate and with the accompanying Tinnitus, requires a decent hearing aid (which can fit under my ear duffs for work and be used in SECRET environments) which at age 44 is a bit of a bugger but hey ho.

I left just over a year ago, and now that I'm no longer around "noise", I can hear a constant ringing in my ears......I assume that is tinnitus? I was always told at the med centre there were no issues at annual hearing tests, but now I'm not so sure....I struggle to hear conversations in pubs or noisy places....where would I begin with this?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I left just over a year ago, and now that I'm no longer around "noise", I can hear a constant ringing in my ears......I assume that is tinnitus? I was always told at the med centre there were no issues at annual hearing tests, but now I'm not so sure....I struggle to hear conversations in pubs or noisy places....where would I begin with this?
My claim is being handled by Clear Law. Best I can suggest is call them.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
My claim has been in for a couple of months now - There’s a lot of claims lawyers jumping on this bandwagon.
I have quite a severe mix of tinnitus and deafness now

norfolkred1

Sergeant
I had 3 downgrades in succession due to poor hearing mainly due to hours of listening to white noise and HF frequencies. From the med board I was offered to 1. Go now or 2. Stay till end of contract without the option of signing on further. OC Admin opt for plan B and seek some retribution. Luckily I had another 6 years to play with. Prior to leaving I approached the RBL to fight my corner who obviously obliged. Since 2008 I have received a monthly war pension. Play for the long game and think about what crap one off payment they offer you. Last year I applied for a review and still waiting. Shy bairns get nowt.

Was the ideal downgrade TBF, no OOA unless Germany or Cyprus.

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Gave up on this years ago. RBL had a thing about hearing loss years ago and I had a visit from a guy from Claritas I think. Fully tested and hearing loss confirmed. Disappeared into the ether, with my paper copies of hearing test fails (which he assured would be returned), and then nothing.

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
I got free hearing aids through RBL a year or so ago (worth £2.5k I believe) as they were given a second batch of reclaimed proceeds from criminal profits. 20+ years ago RBL was administering hearing claims for all services to the MOD.

Back