• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MS Access guru needed

Entropy

Sergeant
I need some help on counting. I want to run a count on a query but the the count is based on a list of variables in another table.

The main table is 2 column list with PC name in col1 and the discovered software in col 2. Each app found is listed on a separate line so there are a number of lines with the same machine name and all apps found.

The counts that I want to do is count the machines with App1 ONLY installed, Machines with APP1 AND APP2 installed etc. The logic is AND, OR, NOT and ONLY.

Cheers
Ent

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Hi Entropy, a suggestion from me would be to create a crosstab query from the Query Wizard, select the table you want that has the two columns you mentioned, click on next, then select the column with the PC ID, then select the column with the software, select next and next again, this view should have count selected, then select next again, then 'View the query and finish. You can then play about with several options, by using the wizard and experimenting, until it shows what you want.

This should be what you appear to be trying to do, and if exported from Access into Excel the query can be further manipulated and even produce charts from the data (I know you can produce charts in Access, but I find it easier in Excel).

Back