• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MS Office

230Tiger

Sergeant
I have just ordered a laptop and was wondering about what office software i could put on it.

I have Microsoft's finest offering on my desktop and, being the law abiding person that I am, wouldn't have dreamed of installing it on the laptop as well. However, I have just read the EULA ((licence) you know that thing that everyone just clicks OK to!!)) and found out that, as I have the parent and student version I can install it on up to 3 computers (provided that they are non-commercial and for use by people in my household), Bonus!

So, if anyone is thinking of buying Microsoft's finest and they have kids or are a student (i have/am honestly) buy the Parent and Student version. Not only is it cheaper but you can also install it on 3 computers!

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
OR just get open office for free - its just as good if not better for 90% of your average home users ;)

B

Biggles.

Know this wont help anyone that is no longer working for the MOD or has access to the RLI but there is a place there where you can order office 2003 and other bits and they work out at £17.50 per disk, i got office 2003 and Frontpage. Arrived within 14 days to a private address, including the office service pack2 on disk.

Dont have the web link at home but will check in work on Wed and post the address in here if i still have it.

230Tiger

Sergeant
Yeah, I was going to go for Openoffice and apparently Tesco (bless em) have released a, reportedly good, office suite for just £20! But, as i already have a copy of MS office and outlook sync's with my phone I'll stick with it.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Again, Tesco office is just a repackaged version of Star Office, something that Open Office was based on.

Mind you, if you have all your stuff set up to use MS Office then I suppose it could be a pain to re-jig it all.

230Tiger

Sergeant
Know this wont help anyone that is no longer working for the MOD or has access to the RLI but there is a place there where you can order office 2003 and other bits and they work out at £17.50 per disk, i got office 2003 and Frontpage. Arrived within 14 days to a private address, including the office service pack2 on disk.

Dont have the web link at home but will check in work on Wed and post the address in here if i still have it.

The only trouble is there are 20 discs......hee, hee

M

monobrow

The old MS Office 2000 came on 2. and that was for all the business bits and peices (that sounded really good when I bought it) But only need the 1st disc for all the normal "office" stuff.....

Question for those running open office etc etc, how does it handle excel/access documents?? I use these quite a lot for the radio (events database, and schedules on excel) Can it do them? Can MS docs be imported???

(sorry to hijack a thread, but seems it's relevant to the subject)

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Open Office can read and save to virtually all common formats.

This includes

Wordperfect
MS Office 95 and onwards
HTML
RTF
Staroffice

and others

as well as its native file format: .sxw

C

Cardinal_Fang

I think open office is great for basic office stuff, but I've noticed a few compatibility issues if you swap files between it and MS. As MontyPlumbs said though, most users will find that it caters for all their needs.

CodeMonkey

Flight Sergeant
I'm the first to admit that i'm not a MS's number one fanboy but the deal for office on the RLI for 17.50 is worth it.(brought a copy for mrs CMs PC.

Having said that the star office for £20 might be worth it but OpenOffice is well worth considering, you can run them both. Remember OpenOffice is free and gaining ground

Mug?

Flight Sergeant
Whoa there

Whoa there

Right I hope Mrs CM is a member of her maj's finest?
Or at the very least you don't let her use it....
The scheme is for MOD employees who may do some work at home.
And I am sure you read and agreed to remove it from your system when you leave!

I have a copy and have set up permissions on my full pucker gen version of XP pro so my kids and wife can't access it.......( If you believe that you will also believe I always buy Cat 5 and USB cables from PC world and that i get my paper and pens from office world)

Its a good deal but it is very powerful and demanding just to write a few letters or draw a few posters.

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
For those of you out there in RAFintranet land here its is:

https://sabs.sbl.r.mil.uk/regunreguser.asp

You just can't fault it, one of the MoDs best kept secrets this.

I lost this link ages ago, cheers for putting it back.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

I seem to remember Win XP being a lot cheaper than the £64 they want for it. Have they upped the price or am I looking in the wrong place?
I'm sick of avoiding security updates because of my hooky copy:PDT_Xtremez_06:

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Got my 2003 version (better than the XP version) within a week or two of ordering it. I can't fault it. Bloody good value for £19.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I lost this link ages ago, cheers for putting it back.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

I seem to remember Win XP being a lot cheaper than the £64 they want for it. Have they upped the price or am I looking in the wrong place?
I'm sick of avoiding security updates because of my hooky copy:PDT_Xtremez_06:

I got a cure for that....... buy a pukka MS copy :PDT_Xtremez_14:

W

Wonky Tonka

I use MS Office 2003, but I also run Open Office.

The word processor package has a neat little feature which lets you save your documents as PDF's. Saved me having to shell out a fortune for Adobe Acrobat.

Must admit though, I mostly use MS for the simple reason that all my stuff is set up to use it and I can't be bovvered to change it all.:PDT_Xtremez_28:

The sabl link from FOMz offers MS Office 2007 now for the same price. It is a full Enterprise edition, with all the bells and whistles but for some reason Ms Gates and Co have rewritten it.

If you save a Word doc, for instance, you need to save it in Office 97-2003 mode, (new dropdown choice). Otherwise the format in older versions is all wrong, (Tried it at work, dismal failure)!

Good offer nonetheless.

Back