• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MSAT Courses - done yours yet?

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
OK, I know there will be a number of personnel who have absolutely no intention of attending an MSAT course as they are looking for promotion to Mr in the near future.
However, for the rest, do you know anyone who hasn't yet done their MSAT course ? Have you done yours? Still putting it off until you or your unit have the time to let you go?
Did you know that the whole program ends in Mar 09?
At the time of writing there are only 20 more 1238 (Rigger to Sooty) MSAT courses programmed to run, thats 320 places. Are there more than 320 riggers left who still haven't done MSAT and who do intend to do it at some point?
Just thought I'd mention it.:PDT_Xtremez_06:

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I believe I am booked on the last rigger to sooty course in Mar 09, and then I start my terminal leave about 2 weeks after completion. I am doing it purely for my CV, not going into civvy a/c work, hope to go off shore, plus my boss insists that I get booked onto a course!

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I was recently made aware that all personnel outstanding MSAT have been allocated a course by MSDIT and ACOS. Those personnel who previously did not do one (courses, dets, pressures of work, ducking & diving etc) will be given this one-off opportunity. Failure to do the course could then result in any offer of re-engagement (ha) being rejected, debar on promotion or even a move away from your post (if it is deemed a MSAT required post).

R

Real Slim Shady

Any Rigger, Sootie, Fairy or Lecky who has not been given course dates, and who wants a cse, should contact the MSDIT ASAP.
Post 1 Apr 09, any legacy trades will not be read by Prom Boards. You will be in an obsolescent trade for the remainder of your current contract.
If you have opted out you should have been spoken to by your Chf Clk and signed the annex stating that you understand your position.

PM for any additional info needed.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Like spanners we also have a few crew cheifs that have to do it as well. Dont really know anyone else thats not done it.

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Yeah I wondered that too propersplitbrain , same with you guys you just had to do a coputer excercise I beleive on some disc. Im X500 now thank god , what a royal pain in the arse and Its for no benefit on my 6000 , I think you should get paid a little bit more for taking on further responsabilities , even if its just a few quid a day its an incentive to really care about being X500

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
Yeah I wondered that too propersplitbrain , same with you guys you just had to do a coputer excercise I beleive on some disc. Im X500 now thank god , what a royal pain in the arse and Its for no benefit on my 6000 , I think you should get paid a little bit more for taking on further responsabilities , even if its just a few quid a day its an incentive to really care about being X500

I'm with you on this, so long as I get 35 years back pay:PDT_Xtremez_30:

T

Trembling Scumbag

Ive got mine october/november, finally!!! Although I was pulled off one a couple of years ago.......

W

Wonky Tonka

Did my MSAT back in 2005. To be perfectly honest, it didn't make much difference to me when I went back to the job afterwards, the Leckies still did all the leckie work and the Fairies still did all the fairy snags.

Got my X500 though which I suppose means that I might be useful to somebody in the future, mind you, by the time I get round to getting back on aircraft, the wheel will have been reinvented so many times.....................

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Makes you wonder why the heck they couldn't have waived the need for tradesmen who've been working multi-trade to do MSAT courses though.

I asked that very question myself. Having been at an establishment where the work was dual traded, the Q course was rigger/sooty and started at Cosford. 2 weeks of "lead-in to aero engines" followed by 2 weeks at Rolls Royce, followed by 4 weeks at the aircraft manufacturer. Engines were taught at the manufacturer also.
The guy who taught us at Cosford did afterburner and the few extra bits needed to bring it up to the same content as multi skilling.
3 years later after working dual traded I had to go back to Cosford for the MS course which then was 3 weeks!!
I personally felt it was a waste of time for me to do the MS course. I didnt really learn anything except the generic Jag/Tonka systems that Cosford insist on teaching us!!

Once back at work my IP package was signed off straight away!

I think some people arent ducking the course though. Lots of them havent got the opportunity to get the X have they?

I've always thought that it makes sense for riggers to be sooties and vice versa (although appos are scum!). I enjoy the work and dont feel that I have to whine my ass off about extra pay and responsibility etc etc.
I've always thought that the MS should be binned in favour of personnel being trained during their respective aircraft Q courses. Its a more logical way to learn, as its the a/c you'll be working on.

For me Cosford MS was learn generic Jag/Tonka system for exam and dump once done!

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I asked that very question myself. Having been at an establishment where the work was dual traded, the Q course was rigger/sooty and started at Cosford. 2 weeks of "lead-in to aero engines" followed by 2 weeks at Rolls Royce, followed by 4 weeks at the aircraft manufacturer. Engines were taught at the manufacturer also.
The guy who taught us at Cosford did afterburner and the few extra bits needed to bring it up to the same content as multi skilling.
3 years later after working dual traded I had to go back to Cosford for the MS course which then was 3 weeks!!

I know, daft isn't it. I taught the very last Sea King course (for rigger to sooty) and one of the lads on that was back a mere 3 or four months later to do MSAT. I didn't bother teaching reheat to those lads though; nothing was going to stop them having to come back so why waste their time?

I personally felt it was a waste of time for me to do the MS course. I didnt really learn anything except the generic Jag/Tonka systems that Cosford insist on teaching us!!

Keep saying this mate, Jag/Tonka is just a vehicle; we have to use something as our platform systems.

I've always thought that the MS should be binned in favour of personnel being trained during their respective aircraft Q courses. Its a more logical way to learn, as its the a/c you'll be working on.

You're right, I think it could have been done that way as an alternative to MSAT; some folks aren't in aircraft posts so would need something to bring them in line with everyone else.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Keep saying this mate, Jag/Tonka is just a vehicle; we have to use something as our platform systems.

I understand that mate, its just that throughout my mech course, fitter course and MS I have been taught a system that I dont need to know!!
I feel sorry for you guys that have to teach it to a class who have no interest in learning it.

I feel that the aircrafts particular Q course has to be the way ahead. Why waste time teaching someone they dont need to know?
I'm all for learning a new trade, but its far better and more interesting if its related to what I'm working on.
It worked for me on my SeaKing Q course............:PDT_Xtremez_28:

R

Real Slim Shady

At the very start of MSAT there was a study to look at the viability of tailoring the ‘standard’ MSAT courses to fit the hugely varied needs of current TG1, excl Wpns.
After looking at GEs/Crew Chiefs/SAR etc and the amount of time ago that some of them qualified – in some cases 15 - 20 odd years ago, plus the technical differences between the platforms that these personnel were employed on…..To cut a long story short-ish, it was just too difficult to manage and would have been an absolute nightmare for Cosford to deliver.
It would also have stopped all of the heated debates that you so enjoy during MSDIT visits!

M

Mickwreay

MSAT Heaven

MSAT Heaven

Now listen here everyone. Most of you are all working very hard @ your Units, right? After 23 years in this wonderful job, my MSAT Sooty-Rigger course has to have been the most laid-back 5 weeks of my career. A long lie in every day, a good laugh with the instructors, a great **** take when doing the a/c jack-up. 2 yes 2 hours for lunch, more than enough time for a kip to recover from the frequent trips into Wolves etc. PT was a laugh, those shiny little PTIs trying to get old gits to run around, yeh right.........! Treat it as a holiday with a tiny amount of study req’d (maybe a little more if you are a DF to AV) Get on up, or down to sunny Cosford for a little light relief from the daily grind, if nothing else you can take the **** out of your mates who got their 1st choice posting! Oops sorry I mean PMA’s 1st choice posting!
Enjoy.........................!

davie77

LAC
Well I did my MSAT back in 2006, Had my IP finished not Shortly after and x500 annotated. Yet in the 2 years I have been fully Multi-skilled have I used my skills as a leckie......No

what a waste of time.

Too many units still single trading.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Bumpty bump

Bumpty bump

I realise some will not want to do the MSAT course and are more than happy to move quietly into civvy strasse.

How many people are out there are still waiting for a course to be allocated?

Can't speak for the fairy lecky side but the rigger/sooty and vice versa is ending early next year.

Back