• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Introduction

• Thread starter Thread starter greywizard2020
  • Start date Start date
G

greywizard2020

Hi Everyone,

My username is greywizard2020 (for reasons i'm not quite sure of anymore), and I am keen on joining the RAF as an officer, either in the Intelligence or Air Battle Management fields.

I'm essentially looking for some assistance in making my application more competitive. Following my interview at my local armed forces careers centre I was told that my application needed have more evidence that i devote my time to more 'extra-curricular'activities, as it were.

It was up until the last 18 months that I've really found that a career in the RAF is what i want to do. The problem with my application is that I rarely did anything in my youth: the majority of my adolescence had been spent as an unconfident, overweight kid, and my university years were spent being just as self-conscious and overweight.

Without sounding too much like an infomercial for weight-loss, i've since lost between 18-20kg in weight because this is what joining the RAF means to me.

If its possible can anyone give me some advice on: a) what kinds of extra activities could I do in order to make my application look more favourable, and b) what are the key areas i need to focus on studying in order to truly impress in my next interview.

Whatever assistance and advice anyone can give would be much appreciated. Thank you.

L

LadyLaw

Hi Greywizard, and welcome to the forum.

I was a bit like you when I was young - shy, unconfident, less than fit! Congratuatlions on losing so much weight - I bet you feel a million times better for it. Also like you, I have only recently come to realisation that actually I want a career in the RAF as an officer. Personally I'm hanging on Logistics or Flt Ops which are both closed so my application is currently on hold.

Anyway, there is loads of advice on here that will help you with your application. In terms of extra-curricular activities, I understand that joining the air cadets as a civvie instructor is very popular with recruiters and it's something I'm looking into doing. Have a look at the Cadets' website - it actually looks like pretty good fun to me :) I'm also an officer in St John Ambulance so I'm hoping that will help my application. It's not such a bad organisation if you fancy giving first aid a go!

I guess doing any sort of voluntary work would make you a more attractive prospect, but especially if it gives you some leadership experience. I think they're mostly looking to make sure you don't just sit on your bum watching TV all the time. What about joining a local sports club or something? If you're doing a lot of running in your training then maybe a running club? Could you get involved with a local community group or something like that?

I'm sure you'll get loads of dood advice, and best of luck with the application!

R

Reformed Scribbly

Don't worry so much about what is popular with recruiters, although Lady Law has put down some good suggestions.

Think about what your interests are and see if there are any local groups out there that share those interests, and if so get involved. If you're going to be devoting your time to something, make sure it's something you will enjoy.

As an interviewer, I look for good evidence of responsibility, either through employment or outside interests. Also involvement in teams/clubs, as it shows you want to get involved, regularly busy to show that you don't just sit in front of the tv or Xbox, or both.

Back