• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Netbook or Notebook/Laptop?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I've been looking at netbooks recently. Do any of you have one that might be able to answer my query?

Are they really an option for day to day web surfing instead of a laptop/notebook? Roughly speaking it's £200 versus £400.

Master Masher plays the likes of World of Warcraft, Mrs Masher regularly tends her Facebook farm and zoo(geek!).

Is a netbook a viable option for this? Is the screen big enough and does the graphics thingies keep up ok on a standard spec machine? (please don't get too technical on me!)

I'd be interested to hear some honest opinions from people who own netbooks.

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
I bought a netbook to bring out to Afg with me. It's good at what it does and easily to transport; however, it has it's limitations - apart from screen size. It is slow and struggles with mulit-tasking (it must be male).

I can live with these limitation while away from home but it would frustrate the hell out of me if it were my only computer at home.

Hope that helps

(I simply use them, I don't understand all the technical blah)

i agree perfect for browsing and facebook games, and updating MS office docs. I would not want to be writing in word or exel for hours though.

I have a samsung nc10 brilliant bit of kit with excellent battery. Wifey has a Dell which is good but no bluetooth, cak wifi and not so good battery.

Neither come with CD/ DVD but all apps can be installed using a ISO file or via a home network.

I have not tried real gaming with either becuase i just dont think it would work.

Upgrades, both of ours has a panel underneath to upgrade the RAM to 2g which costs about £20, supposed to be the best upgrade possible.

Our main PC is dead so we do every thing on these. I do have mine hooked up to a LCD monitor though.

Sound quality on both is cak, ok through headphones but im looking to get some usb speakers to use when away.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Thanks for the info.

It's not my only PC. I have a laptop which does everything else.
I'm just looking for something that net surfs ok and plays a few little web games as mentioned.

Are they good enough for that?

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
Thanks, just the sort of info I was looking for.

My mistake about World of Warcraft, he now plays Runescape which is a web browser based game.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My home PC is a netbook in fact everything I do online at home is via my netbook. For my needs it's spot on but I am an IT feckwit so my use is limited. Internet forums like e-goat, almost daily, occasional facebook stuff monthly maybe, checking e-mails when I can be arsed etc. For pictures and movies it ok for me even using it's built in speaker or speakers, the lack of cd drive is no hardship either with an external drive attached. The non mouse touch pad thing is a right pain and I have a tiny mouse fitted instead. But I have spent to many years around jet engines and wear specs so minor details like HD and Hi-Fi dolby b0llox are wasted on me. Things like world of warcraft and other such stuff hold no interest for me so I have no idea at all if my machine which is mainly black in colour and has a long wire with a three pin plug at the end would be any good for such gaming malarky. The built in web cam is useless once you've taken your facebook picture it's redundant.
Netbooks fine if you don't expect to much.

Last edited:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Depends what you want

Depends what you want

If you want a portable computer that can do anything than a standard Laptop will do.

If you want a small machine with a long battery life but a slow processor then a net book will meet you needs, it won't play games and won't do any kind of graphics malarky very well. (there are netbooks with graphics chips that may cope with minor demands).

I use a note book with an external dvd drive, I love the size and it's quite well powered and does anything you want, I did pay a bit more for it than a larger laptop but I'm happy with my purchased.

My wife has a much cheaper laptop with a bigger screen and an almost as powerfull set of internals, the battery lasts no longer but it suits her needs.

I've done the netbook thing but found them quite limiting as your only pc but great as an occasional machine.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I went down the shop for a poke and fiddle around.

The huge battery lives are a plus for the notebook but the processor speeds are slower.

I came home with a laptop after all!

But.......I intend to purchase a netbook at some point. They really are quite handy little machines, as the missus pointed out, she could drop into her handbag! Good for being away I think where you don't need the full functionality that a laptop gives.

Thanks for all the advice though.

tag_lincoln

Corporal
I was looking at a Dell Laptop, one of the ones with the 17" screen, have people been having problems with WiFi on them? Barely use the PC anymore but very dependant on laptop at home and my Sony is about to die so good WiFi is a must as our router is in an obscure place. Any advice?

ChrisBrit81

Sergeant
I know you've already made your decision, but for any other people out there in the same situation...

There are a few ultra portable laptops out there now with LED Screens (helps with battery life) powerful processors, high quantities of RAM and big HDDs for around the £400 mark.

I'd say these are an ideal compromise between the portability of a netbook and the functionality of a fully fledged laptop.

They don't have DVD/CD drives either, making them ultra slim. and the screen sizes sit nicely in the middle of laptops and netbooks at around the 13" - 14" mark.

novatech make some good ones without the OS pre-loaded, saving you even more money.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Have a look at acerdirect.co.uk. I got my current laptop from Acer, I had a good deal too. It has b, g and (draft)N. It connects through my Netgear hub all over the house at home with no problem.

Tocsin

LAC
As already said, its horses for courses. I have a laptop, a big hulking desktop replacement, HD screen and all the bells and whistles. Would I take it away with me? Only if going somewhere sensible in the UK/Europe/US for a week plus.

I got a netbook (Samsung NC10 as previously recommended on this thread) last year with the intent of taking it to Afg and ditching afterwards. In fact, I use it a lot for web surfing and minor office tasks, and it is the one I pack for short journeys away. Does Office, light games and video ok (use headphones for sound). Useful upgrades - memory, broadband dongle and mouse (the trackpads are too small and fiddly).

Triple SA

Thread Killer
I got a netbook (Samsung NC10 as previously recommended on this thread) last year with the intent of taking it to Afg and ditching afterwards.

Did (do) you use it for Skype? If so, how was it? I'm off to AFG soon, am thinking about buying a netbook, and was wondering if it was up to the task for Skype.

Did (do) you use it for Skype? If so, how was it? I'm off to AFG soon, am thinking about buying a netbook, and was wondering if it was up to the task for Skype.

that will probably depend on the bandwidth available. I have used my nc10 for google video chat though.

Mike Oxlong

Corporal
Will an NC10 be able to skype on the Falklands bandwidth? I'm off in 2 months and am looking at a netbook to keep in touch with the missus.

mick-a-nick

Corporal
PSB - Mac Book Pro, the way ahead, expensive but it does all I need. Talks to the 'Big Mac on my desk with no problem. PC's are Ok but MAC is the way ahead.

Back