• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Network access ?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
OK. The 'new' PC is up and running (with XP Pro and SP3), thanks to the help of the Goat.
My local spacies have a network thing; all the laptops are on some sort of "Wire-less" connection, but my interest is at the other end of the building so I have a long bit of the right cable from the PC to the Modem/Router thing (using Cat 5/6 cable).

The question is as follows: There is a network of some sort, and the man who set it up has left us.
Asking anyone for information is 'a hiding to nothing'.

I have written such details as I can from the 'old' PC's network connection (IP, Mask. etc..) but I haven't a clue how to get this new box on the network.

Can someone please point me in the right direction ?

Last edited:

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
It may also be advisable to try the connections with a laptop beforehand to prove the network connection.

Put the PC in the same room as the Modem/Router.

Connect it to the Modem/Router using the electric string stuff.

It should connect automatically.

If it doesn't connect kick it.

If it connects OK, route the electric string to the room that will contain the PC and connect up.

shotgun

LAC
Is it for connecting to a broadband connection?

If so, chances are DCHP is enabled (this should automatically configure the connection settings of any PC connected to it). You should be able to connect a network cable and it does the rest.

First thing to do is check your network settings are set to auto by looking in the connection properties, there should be a tick box that says something like "auto-assign" (can't remember off the top of my head, currently on a work computer that's locked down, so can't check). When the network cable is plugged in the network symbol in the bottom right corner should say connecting, then change to what looks like 2 computers that flash alternately.

M

monobrow

Plug wire in both pc and router. Open browser, check you can get on internet. If it fails ask a teenager.

"Normal" networking is not a dark art...

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Back