• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New desktop

• Thread starter Thread starter gemarriott
  • Start date Start date
G

gemarriott

My desk top PC has finally given up the ghost so I am looking for a new one. I admit I am bamboozled by the choice. My monitor is OK and so are the speakers, if I buy a new tower should I just be able to plug them in and play? It doesn't have to be a flying machine, I don't game on it just use it for internet and word processing really.

Any ideas folks?

Odie

Sergeant
My desk top PC has finally given up the ghost so I am looking for a new one. I admit I am bamboozled by the choice. My monitor is OK and so are the speakers, if I buy a new tower should I just be able to plug them in and play? It doesn't have to be a flying machine, I don't game on it just use it for internet and word processing really.

Any ideas folks?

The monitor and speakers should just be plug and play. :PDT_Xtremez_15:

Ever thought about downsizing to a decent laptop? I did when my last PC died and haven't looked back or missed it one iota. :PDT_Xtremez_28:

G

gemarriott

I have a laptop which I use more than anything but I like the desktop for the grandkids more than anything.

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
I have a laptop which I use more than anything but I like the desktop for the grandkids more than anything.

That sounds like a good swap! A desktop PC for grand kids? How many did you give for it..... And how did you pick which ones?

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
If you are not using it for gaming you should be able to get a replacement quite cheaply. My suggestion would be to go to a local computer shop, explain what you need and have them build one for you.
Or... do you not have a mate who's a bit of a computery geek that can take some of the old components (i.e. graphics card, hard drives, sound card, case, fans, etc) and simply replace what has died on your old system? For instance you may able to replace the motherboard, processor and RAM for as little as 150 quid but if you go for a whole new box you could be talking 250 - 400 quid.

Having said all of that something like this would probably do for you --> http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Home+...ual-Core+Next+Day+Desktop+PC+?productId=51511

Or this (at the most IMHO seeing as you dont need a gaming machine) --> http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Home+...ual-Core+Next+Day+Desktop+PC+?productId=53000

I dont think they come pre-installed with Windows but if you've got the Windows disc and other software it wouldn't take much to install it on those boxes.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Home+and+Office/

Aria are pretty good suppliers, I've been buying stuff from them for years.

As always set yourself a budget and buy within that, it's very easy to be talked into over reaching yourself and buying stuff you'll never ever use to it's full capability when it comes to computer systems/components. I've known some people shell out nearly a thousand quid for a system and then do nothing more than email, surfing and the occasional letter in word! Barking mad!

Last edited:
G

gemarriott

If you are not using it for gaming you should be able to get a replacement quite cheaply. My suggestion would be to go to a local computer shop, explain what you need and have them build one for you.
Or... do you not have a mate who's a bit of a computery geek that can take some of the old components (i.e. graphics card, hard drives, sound card, case, fans, etc) and simply replace what has died on your old system? For instance you may able to replace the motherboard, processor and RAM for as little as 150 quid but if you go for a whole new box you could be talking 250 - 400 quid.

Having said all of that something like this would probably do for you --> http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Home+...ual-Core+Next+Day+Desktop+PC+?productId=51511

Or this (at the most IMHO seeing as you dont need a gaming machine) --> http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Home+...ual-Core+Next+Day+Desktop+PC+?productId=53000

I dont think they come pre-installed with Windows but if you've got the Windows disc and other software it wouldn't take much to install it on those boxes.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Home+and+Office/

Aria are pretty good suppliers, I've been buying stuff from them for years.

As always set yourself a budget and buy within that, it's very easy to be talked into over reaching yourself and buying stuff you'll never ever use to it's full capability when it comes to computer systems/components. I've known some people shell out nearly a thousand quid for a system and then do nothing more than email, surfing and the occasional letter in word! Barking mad!

Cheers mate, that looks like the gen I was after. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

Craig855s

Sergeant
Cheers mate, that looks like the gen I was after. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

I'd say that first link has hit the nail on the head there, you dont need anything more than that and whilst I personally would spend the same amount of money on a superior but used machine from ebay/gumtree whatever it wouldnt have the peave of mind of a new machine which you'd probably prefer.

There's the other option of going into a branch of Comet with cash and a brass neck, you should be able to get a cracking deal. And it'll still have manufacturers warranty too.

Teh Wal

Flight Sergeant
There's the other option of going into a branch of Comet with cash and a brass neck, you should be able to get a cracking deal. And it'll still have manufacturers warranty too.
Pffft, have you seen the 'discounts' that they're offering in their closing down sales? It's bloomin laughable and simply a reflection of how they've done business over the past few years. It'll still be cheaper online.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
I'd agree with the first reply for general stuff, that first link would be good enough.

Or have a look around and see if anyone is selling any old win 7 kit off cheap.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
I got mine and my lads from Comet, ACER's, they were reasonable and reliable.
The only draw back was they had Vista on them :)

Back