• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Laptop

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I've just bought a new Laptop with Vista already installed, the only thing it doesn't have is anti virus. Has anybody got some recommendations for good anti virus software? Does anyone know if I can have 2 different ISPs on the same phone line. I am using AOL at the moment on my PC but I would like to try someone else with the laptop without having to get rid of AOL if possible. I have tried others in the past you see and had nothing but grief. I still have problems now because of freeserve that 2 different branches of PC world can't seem to sort.

I forgot to say that I'm tight and after free software.:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Last edited:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
If you are dialling up with a standard modem and not ADSL, you can have as many ISPs as you like.

M

monobrow

God forbid you actually use AOL's god awful program!!!! There is a way around it if I remember rightly, but all depends on whether you are using a USB modem or a router configuration... Click "Dial", broadband connects, and everything is live from Internet Explorer or FireFox.

In answer to your question, it very much depends on what type of "dual ISP" you're looking for. You cannot have 2 broadband (or ADSL) on the same line, However you can use broadband and dialup

In an attempt to explain, ADSL uses your phone line, but a different frequency band as audio. Hence when you use broadband, you have to plug those filters in all over the shop. It separates the audio from the data. This connection is always on which is why you cannot have 2 ADSL's on 1 line. It'd be completely messed up and most ISP's do a check to see if you are already ADSL enabled.

Dialup though is a different kettle of fish. The data is only on the line when that old 56K modem starts dialling! And because it uses the audio band and not the data band of the line, you can use either or.

Whats the problem that PC world can't sort? There's a few geeks on here that will probably be able to help in some way shape or form.

M

monobrow

Free antivirus that I've used in the past is AVG (http://free.grisoft.com/) as mentioned before, and Avast! (http://www.avast.com/)

Both are alright, had a problem with Avast once though, it let in a virus and couldn't clean it. but then that is one problem in the years I've been using free antivirus programs!

A

Albert Park

I've just bought a new Laptop with Vista already installed, the only thing it doesn't have is anti virus. Has anybody got some recommendations for good anti virus software? Does anyone know if I can have 2 different ISPs on the same phone line. I am using AOL at the moment on my PC but I would like to try someone else with the laptop without having to get rid of AOL if possible. I have tried others in the past you see and had nothing but grief. I still have problems now because of freeserve that 2 different branches of PC world can't seem to sort.

I forgot to say that I'm tight and after free software.:PDT_Xtremez_30:
Plenty of free software here

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Thanks guys, I'll probably download AVG later as it seems the most popular with you lot. As for the problems with Freeserve, when I uninstalled the software it has left random parts around that I can't seem to get rid of. 2 PC world health checks where I have mentioned it and it is still on there. Of course that could just be because I have ended up with some cretin when I go instore.

M

monobrow

If it's bits and peices left over, the best option is to backup everything you want to keep and completely wipe the system starting over with your windows disc (make sure you have one first!!). If you rate yourself in the "not so geeky" category, then you might want to look at other options.....

Theres a fairly decent guide on here -> http://www.windowsvista.windowsreinstall.com/vistahomepremium/installnewhdd/installnewhdd.htm but remember, if theres files you want to keep, formatting will bin them, including any regularly used programs and settings!! So gather your office CD, as well as make sure you have your ISP CD so you can download all the good stuff you had before. Because it's a clean install, it'll be like the freeserve stuff wasn't ever there.

Other than that, if you have the disc still, try installing it, then use something like ccleaner to get rid of it (Utilities -> programs if I remember rightly). Then using that do a registry check and let it fix all your problems for you. What that does is tye up the loose ends. so the registry no longer looks for extensions or programs no longer in use. Strangely enough though, it usually makes your computer a damn sight quicker too! And best of all, it's also free!

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Hope this helps.

Back