• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New MacBook.

• Thread starter Thread starter POB
  • Start date Start date
P

POB

I have been umming and ahhing about getting a laptop small and light enough to take on my travels but big enough to store all my pictures and music. I finally settled on a MacBook Black...

Picked it up two days ago, and it's fantastic! I have not slept much since and am getting used to using it.

Any other Mac users out there, and any advice or tips for a new user? My main worry at the moment is virus protection...Do I need a firewall or is the famous Mac good enough on its own?

dantura

Geeky Fuelly Type
You're braver than me.
I have been toying with the Mac Book pro for quite a while (I could have got a 15% student discount), but bottled the jump from PC and plumbed for the new Sony FZ31Z, should be arriving in a few weeks.
Main reason, that all my software (Office etc) wouldn't be compatible, and I couldn't see the point in running Windows on a MAC.
I do really like them though and may plumb for 1 next time.
Good and brave (unless you're already a MAC vet) choice.

D

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Mac the life

Mac the life

Had a Mac Book for just under a couple of years now, a nice little white one, it does most of what I require from a portable computer, web, email, store file and listen/watch my CDs and now-a-days video.

Not had any kind of virus checker or such like on the machine, my modem has a firewall, I have anti-spam and email checker stuff from my ISP and I don't really download a lot of stuff I don't trust so I feel kinda safe without extra software to slow the thing down and make life more complicated.

I have apple works installed which cost about £65 and that deals with letters and spreadsheets. I find drivers for additional stuff dont exist or a bit buggy, although my new tom tom works fine on the Mac driver but gets completely fried when I use my home PC.

The machine has stalled a few times during this period, quitting the application or a quick (and I mean quick compared to my PC) restart normally sorts itself out. On the whole the machine just works and just about everything is easy to use, I was contemplating buying a new one but now the Linux based EEE PC has come along I'm tempted to go here instead, It will do what I want but in such a small package and for next to nothing it seems to be a no brainer.

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
You can get a full working version of Office for the Mac. It is on that home user thing where you get it for £17

P

POB

You can get a full working version of Office for the Mac. It is on that home user thing where you get it for £17

I have just been offered a copy of that for $20, in its original packaging, including licence...Looks legal too...It includes powerpoint and all the other goodies, BUT...It's in Spanish...I can cope but would rather not have to.

M

monobrow

I been doing some research (of sorts) since you told me you got it. And knowing the square root of naff all about Mac's I said use google. With google as my guide, it tells me that the Mac OSX is a unix based operating system. Has it's advantages and shares a few things with the Linux operating system...

Virus scanners, two schools of thought here. 1) all viruses out there are for Windows/microsoft PC's and to that end, you will never need a virus scanner. 2) There are very VERY few viruses for this type of operating system, however your PC may transfer an infected email (for instance) on to a friend on windows where it will do harm. Have a look here -> http://www.clamxav.com/ the second school of thought is alot expanded in their intro.

Firewall, there is one built into OSX. heres the gen from apple -> http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1042.html Wise to switch on if your on wireless, if your wired to a router then it is less needed as most have in built firewall in their options.

Office, there is a fantastic free one that I use. Saves as and opens word documents, excel docs, powerpoint docs, the whole office suite and 100% free. Go here and have a look -> http://www.openoffice.org/

Hope this helps.

P

POB

Mono, and all the others, thank you. Everyone that I know who uses a Mac, has sworn to never return to MS...I am not that confident about the Mac yet, but I can see why no one wants to go back!

I will certainly have a look at the openoffice thing...

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Back