• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New PSU or replacement CPU

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Just been told that my PSU has given up the ghost on my 4 n arf year old Shuttle XPC.

Do I spend 60 quid on a new PSU to revive the 2.4 mhz P4 CD-RW with windows xp small form factor machine and keep it going for a few more months/years that I know and love

or...

Do I bite the bullet and spend 300 quid on an average PC (CPU with OS only) - the machine is not that much used, I use my Macbook for most things, but i do use it when I need a windows machine or when I use DVDFab - copying DVDs and encoding them to H.264 to place on my NAS, this currently takes about 8 hours for an average DVD movie.

Any opinions on the above welcome.

Cheers

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
As PE mentioned, if it does what you need why change?
For the sake of a new PSU you have a decent little system there doing what you need.
Try and avoid the urge to upgrade for the sake of it, it's hard but sometimes you just don't need too.
XP will still be supported for a good while yet, at least until Microsoft can persuade business to increase their feeble uptake of Vista, so no worries there.

Meathead

LAC
Changing a PSU is a pretty simple job. I have not looked recently, but when mine went pop I got one off ebay for under 20 notes and it has been working fine for 2 years now.....

M

MickM

Yeah... I'd replace the PSU but I wouldn't pay £60 for one. Under £20 will buy you a perfectly decent one, just make sure you get one of sufficient wattage. Have a look here...

http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?qfind=psu&x=15&y=16

Of course, if you're looking at an excuse to upgrade then don't let us stand in your way.

:PDT_Xtremez_15:

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
My 3-year old Athlon tower-cased PC started acting very odd and I began to notice a 'warm insulation' smell.
A new 400w PSU cost me 20 quid.

Fix the beast and damn the lot of 'em, say I.

:PDT_Xtremez_28:

P

pie sandwich

If its playing up it could just need a clean, all you need to do to clean it is,

Remove from the computer and brush down with a paint brush then go over with the vacuum cleaner, and then place it in a bowl of warm water NO SOAP let it soak for a while 15 - 20 min then run it under the tap until it looks fairly clean.

Then place it somewhere warm airing cupboard for example and leave it in there for 7-10 days longer if possible, and let it dry out slowly.

Just ensure it is dry before you plug it back in, last thing you need is to get a shock.

I saw this in a pc mag a while ago, so its not a mad idea as you might think.

But if you do get shocked and die can I have your laptop :PDT_Xtremez_14:

T93

Sergeant
Leopard

Leopard

If your OS is Leopard on your MAC, then why not partition for use with windows?

ITgeek

LAC
only thing is if its a shuttle pc they are small form factor and you will have to buy a replacement shuttle psu , which shouldn't be mutch bit it will fit in the case :)

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Thanks for all the comments.

I'm going to try the washing and drying method but I also have my eye on a replacement on ebay for the PSU, three at around 30 squid at the mo.

Yes shuttle items cost a little bit more than the norm but the machines are nice.

Would like to upgrade, but again as this is a little used machine it is hard to justify.

Back