• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Newbie looking for advice

• Thread starter Thread starter dome
  • Start date Start date
D

dome

Hi guys. Apologies for the long post but here goes...

Am looking at beginning the recruitment process and visited my local AFCO on Monday. I had a shortlist of 3 jobs, in my initial preferential order these were Intelligence Officer, Aerospace Battle Manager and WSO.

From reading more details about the roles supplied by the AFCO ABM would now be my first choice-Space Operator especially sounds appealing. Now at the time of the initial conversation in the AFCO because IO was my first choice and wasn't being recruited for the Corporal told me to buld up my fitness, improve my knowledge and think about volunteering to help my application.

Now that I've decided on ABM and it is currently open, however I'd rather be as prepared as possible before applying-I contacted my local ATC which I was in for 5 years and the CO(still the same person as when I was there) was helpful and I'm going to see him on Monday about joining as a CI. However he did say it can be a 3 month process to get in due to background checks. As far as volunteering goes that is something I'm happy to do-my mum was heavily involved in a local charity and I'd be happy to help them out.

Now, the worst case scenario for me would be to spend time doing all these things to help my application only for my chosen trade to close in say 6 months time. But on the other hand I don't want to apply straight away if I'm not in the best possible position.

My fitness is OK-I mountain bike regularly-would need to take up running but I'm happy to do this.
My RAF knowledge is OK but a little rusty, I'm actively building this up just now and it's no chore-I have always had a love of the RAF and what they do.
I keep up to date on current affairs-avoiding the tabloids and watching C4 news so I get a good knowledge of what's happening in the world.

The other thing to consider is the fact I'm currently unemployed-still looking for work but it's not easy at the moment. The timescales involved in applying would affect what jobs I can accept in the meantime.

If anyones still awake at the back then thanks for making it this far and I'd welcome any comments/advice that you can offer. I'll speak to the AFCO and see what they think, there was no RAF bods in when I phoned today!

Cheers

Brian

Back