• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

noisy nimrod

I noticed when watching a clip of that vulcan that got back in the air last week, when it went up to max chat at the top of the runway, the engines made that mad drone noise that reminded me of when I worked on nimrods, and used to watch em get airborne after a see off.
Does this happen on any other jets? anyone even know what I'm on about or have I imagined it!:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
I know the noise you mean! THe Mighty Hunter has it but its not just big jets that have it, the Bucc used to get that roar when it went to max chat.

Reminds me sometimes of why I joined up...................then I wake up!

G

gemarriott

I know the noise you mean! THe Mighty Hunter has it but its not just big jets that have it, the Bucc used to get that roar when it went to max chat.

Reminds me sometimes of why I joined up...................then I wake up!

i know the sound you mean it sort of rumbles the air around you. The tombs used to just make a fcukin noise:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
While serving at Scampton in the late 70's, if the Engine men were doing a ground run on a Vulcan which belonged to the OCU which was only about 250 yards from my quarter, when they opened up the throttle, the vibration from the engine would literally make the ornaments dance along my mantelpiece.

Past Engineering

Sergeant
Subscriber
Captain Slog; was Wg Cdr Vasey still doing the air displays in the late 70's, as I posted somewhere about his antics especially over the airmans married quarters. He would fly low level across the airfield and then open her up and climb directly over the MQs he felt he had a good display if he bent lots of TV ariels, broke some windows and blew off roof tiles. He also used to require the jet to have a few new top skins due to the overstress. I have to admit it was a damm impressive display though.

MAINJAFAD

Warrant Officer
i know the sound you mean it sort of rumbles the air around you. The tombs used to just make a fcukin noise:PDT_Xtremez_30:

Bad news if it was the QRA going off at 2am in the morning, though the Car Alarms at wattashambles in the early 90s then tended to keep you awake for the next half an hour after the last sound of the Tombs departing.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts

standing behind 8 sqn at Saints having an early morning smoke watching the mighty Tomb get ready for take off. When they engaged reheat you could feel your ribs shake :PDT_Xtremez_14:

This was, I should point out, in the days BEFORE they were encased in the vest of blubber they now sport !! :PDT_Xtremez_42:

One of my favourite memories of Saints was on a cold winter morning with a sea fog rolling across the airfield. A Tomb swooped out of the mist with huge swirls coming off the wingtips and took out the RHAG........ the sparks in the gloom were absolutely magic. I only wish I'd had a camera with me.

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
standing behind 8 sqn at Saints having an early morning smoke watching the mighty Tomb get ready for take off. When they engaged reheat you could feel your ribs shake :PDT_Xtremez_14:

This was, I should point out, in the days BEFORE they were encased in the vest of blubber they now sport !! :PDT_Xtremez_42:

One of my favourite memories of Saints was on a cold winter morning with a sea fog rolling across the airfield. A Tomb swooped out of the mist with huge swirls coming off the wingtips and took out the RHAG........ the sparks in the gloom were absolutely magic. I only wish I'd had a camera with me.

Had more than my ribs shake when we were carrying out a post engine installation on a Toom whilst boltholed at Waddo! Whilst doing the reheat nozzle stability checks with me observing the nozzles at fairly close quarters, the engine developed reheat buzz (uncontrolled combustion). It's true that adrenalin is brown and smelly :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Never moved so fast in my life, the vibration is so severe that the rudder pfcu eye end has to be replaced after a buzz takes place (resonant frequency or something) not to mention my kidneys:PDT_Xtremez_31:

G

gemarriott

Had more than my ribs shake when we were carrying out a post engine installation on a Toom whilst boltholed at Waddo! Whilst doing the reheat nozzle stability checks with me observing the nozzles at fairly close quarters, the engine developed reheat buzz (uncontrolled combustion). It's true that adrenalin is brown and smelly :PDT_Xtremez_42:

Never moved so fast in my life, the vibration is so severe that the rudder pfcu eye end has to be replaced after a buzz takes place (resonant frequency or something) not to mention my kidneys:PDT_Xtremez_31:

As far as boltholes go that Waddo one was pretty good. Made a packet on home to duty, well enough to keep the old motor running with bits from Windleys anyway.

Had the bonus of seeing the last of the Vulcans in action too

Goatherdingsplitter

Rebel without a clue
As far as boltholes go that Waddo one was pretty good. Made a packet on home to duty, well enough to keep the old motor running with bits from Windleys anyway.

Had the bonus of seeing the last of the Vulcans in action too

Waddo Bolthole - happy days doing a ton down narrow Lincolnshire B roads when late for work.

Ah Windleys! my car also thrived on a ready supply of bits, some donated for my help on his Whirlwinds.

Had the bonus of seeing the last Vulcans too and also sadly seeing them cut up plus a runaway Toom without aircrew (228 crew ejected after nose wheel steering failure as I recall):PDT_Xtremez_42:

G

gemarriott

Waddo Bolthole - happy days doing a ton down narrow Lincolnshire B roads when late for work.

Ah Windleys! my car also thrived on a ready supply of bits, some donated for my help on his Whirlwinds.

Had the bonus of seeing the last Vulcans too and also sadly seeing them cut up plus a runaway Toom without aircrew (228 crew ejected after nose wheel steering failure as I recall):PDT_Xtremez_42:

Yup that was XT891 now gate guard at Conz. Double mainwheel burst too alonsde NWS failure caused them to bang out. Similar thing to what happened to XV495 in Cyprus in 74

Used to hit the ton on the way home from nights, only ever likely to meet swing shift on their way home.

Captain Slog

Trekkie Nerd
Subscriber
Captain Slog; was Wg Cdr Vasey still doing the air displays in the late 70's, as I posted somewhere about his antics especially over the airmans married quarters. He would fly low level across the airfield and then open her up and climb directly over the MQs he felt he had a good display if he bent lots of TV ariels, broke some windows and blew off roof tiles. He also used to require the jet to have a few new top skins due to the overstress. I have to admit it was a damm impressive display though.

Yeah, I remember the fecker, he used to take a delight in trying to destroy the Airmen's married quarters, never did it to his fellow Occifers though, typical fly boy.

stacker1195

Sergeant
I barely remember the Vulcan engine runs at Scampton (I was 5 when they left) as they always caused my Grandma and Grandad's kitchen window to crack down the hill in Brattleby.

F

FairyGoodGuy

A few years ago when the Mighty Hunters were at Thumrait we were kindly placed between the Active and Secondary runways and all the Spams jets would taxi past and take off right beside us. For all the normal aircraft that was fine C-17 and C-5 etc, but the problem was the B-1B....

Thought I had heard some noisy jets in my time but OH MY GOD these things are by far the loudest things in the world... But bloody impressive to watch at night..... You could feel your insides shaking....

They use to provide 24 hour cover over the Gulf region and would take off and land ever 12 hours at around 6am and 6pm (0600-1800 for you military types) and every now and then they took it upon themselves to do a full afterburner flypast at 150-200ft above the accomodation..... They were popular....NOT. Still you never needed an alarm clock if you were on days.....

Back