• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Not sure i'm in the right thread!!!

Any advice would be helpful thanks

I left the raf in january to to persue a career in the civil fir brigade which i am currently employed. As much as i like my current job i prefer the raf lifestyle and was looking at re-joining. I was trade group 3 which is now 4.

I spoke to the AFCO but they were'nt all that helpful and was just wondering how long the process would take, i appreciate its a case by case process but us there a general timescale?

Also would i go back onto my rank and payscale or if i decided to change trades even with my time served would i be back on basic pay?

Again not sure if i'm in the right thread and apologies if i'm not, but any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

P

Portcullis

Any advice would be helpful thanks

I left the raf in january to to persue a career in the civil fir brigade which i am currently employed. As much as i like my current job i prefer the raf lifestyle and was looking at re-joining. I was trade group 3 which is now 4.

I spoke to the AFCO but they were'nt all that helpful and was just wondering how long the process would take, i appreciate its a case by case process but us there a general timescale?

Also would i go back onto my rank and payscale or if i decided to change trades even with my time served would i be back on basic pay?

Again not sure if i'm in the right thread and apologies if i'm not, but any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers!
You are on the right thread, but I think that in the present climate (TGs closing to new entrants) only AFCOs or Krusty Crab can tell you.

Your trade desk may allow you straight back into trade after a quick re-kit at Halton. I would think that your previous reports and trade specs will count in your favour.

Good luck!

K

Krusty_Crab

Kit & Post is up to 2 years from leaving so you'd just have to come into Halton for 2 weeks, get issued with all your Kit, Fizz test, GDT and then Posted. However I don't know what terms and conditions you'd be offered or what rank you'd get, that would be decided by Manning. Best talk to your AFCO, especially if one of them is a scribbly they'd be able to tell find out the likely pay/rank terms.
In all likelyhood the earliest you will now get in is Apr 2010. Personally I'd stick with the Fire Brigade a bit longer and give it a chance. Have you compared the pension rights of your Fire Brigade with the Armed Forces Pension Scheme. My guess is that the Fire Brigade pension is pretty good. Also what are your plans for the future? At the moment the RAF may seem more attractive but what about in a few years when you might favour stability over adventure(?????). As an ICT Tech you'll do your fair share of TCW, might wear a bit thin after a while??
My advice is check out the AFCO and see what your options are, don't hand your notice in with the Fire Brigade unless you're absolutely sure the RAF offers you the best LONG TERM benefits. I know many people who would kill for a job with their local Fire Brigade.

Thanks for the continued advice

I am giving it until the end of oct-nov sand if i feel the same i'll look to re-enlist, i appreciate i'm in quite a good position with the fire brigade and know alot of people who would like to be in! I've done a stint on TCW already and appreciate i would probably end up on the wing somewhere down the line.

The pension is quite good in the fire brigade but we have to make quite a contribution from our pay.

I was told april would be the next time the trade takes on people, so with that in mind it does give me a long time to think it over.

harris921

LAC
Your the first and probably the last firefighter Ive ever heard of who does not love the service. Alot of my mates are in and they are always bragging about the 4 on 4 off and how cushy it is.

Back