• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Numbers

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Last time I bought a home PC the speed of the CPU was easy to work out, anyway my good old P4 2.4 is starting to get a bit staid and slow.

Now the machine is well due a replacement, it is mainly used for Video converting and streaming around the home so I am looking for a speedy processor with some graphic capabilities.

So what do the numbers mean on a processor these days, is there a number I should be looking at to compare and how is the intel/AMD battle going these days.

Cheers

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
I feel your pain!

What appears to be happening now is that CPU speeds have stopped climbing as rapidly as they once did, and the big two are going for multi-core processors. The choice is quite mind-boggling however, with Intel and AMD both sneaking a lead on the other only for it to change again shortly after.
The advice you'll get will be much and varied; don't bother with quad core as nothing takes advantage of it, get AMD not Intel etc etc etc.

After puzzling over the same conundrum you've got I opted for an Intel Core 2 duo 3.3 Ghz.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
I'm no expert but from what I can gather not that many programs can make use of a quadcore processor.

Just make sure you match the motherboard, CPU, RAM etc together. ie. It's no good having the dogs CPU if the motherboard can't load / unload the data fast enough.

B

Bodseh

- Note: Make sure your Mobo supports the lastest generations of processors.

Also note that alot of software packages only use single thread applications, meaning they would only benefit from using 2 cores, so save yourself some money and invest abit of time looking into the 'applications' your going to be using to stream / convert and make sure they support quad core before buying a very expensive processor..

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I have nothing but trouble from AMD processors. I never go near them any more as they are just too unstable performance wise.

Back