• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

OK so do you know ...

• Thread starter Thread starter DF02
  • Start date Start date
D

DF02

Ok we all know what Ty-wraps we are allowed to use and which we arn't, but can anyone actually tell me where this is laid down on paper? Much appreciate any help. :S

PVRisthefuture

Sergeant
Ok we all know what Ty-wraps we are allowed to use and which we arn't, but can anyone actually tell me where this is laid down on paper? Much appreciate any help. :S
Surely the ones you can demand are "MoD approved"? I know whilst doing equipment installation, the specific cable ties (Ty-raps) are named by NSN.

I suppose all are allowed, after all, there are dozens of different screwdrivers with the same head, and they are permitted.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I presume you have just been told to stop using the one's with the ridges on the inside?

It won't be laid down anywhere 'Thou shalt not use knobbly inside Ty-Wraps'

It is down to IPT's and DA's to tell you what is an acceptable AC spare and what is not. The bit of paper or an email you have recieved which has prompted this thread is all the authority you need.

Odie

Sergeant
I thought that the restriction was on those ty-wraps that had the metal insert as the locking piece rather than the all plastic ty-wrap.

D

DF02

I'm an ex RAF DF and whilst i was in i never needed to see anything on paper, now however i'm working on a project where the MoD is the customer and theres a multitude of nationalities building pieces for the project. However they didnt get the "Use internal Ty's and i'll kick your ar$e into next year" brief, and i need to find something official to drop in their in- trays as some are not only useing the dreaded internal Ty's but some are even useing ones with a metal tang, unless i can find something official to show them its going to end up with you guys having to replace them all as soon as you recieve the kit. Better to find a piece of paper now i would have thought...

There must be some form of policy statement or safety report detailing which ones to use and why. I have trolled the JAP and exhausted all official channels so now i come to the people who do the job.

Last edited:

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
It will vairy from aircraft to aircraft, you best bet is to speak to the Elect trade manager. He will know and if he doesn't he will know where to find out. (I hope)

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I'm an ex RAF DF and whilst i was in i never needed to see anything on paper, now however i'm working on a project where the MoD is the customer and theres a multitude of nationalities building pieces for the project. However they didnt get the "Use internal Ty's and i'll kick your ar$e into next year" brief, and i need to find something official to drop in their in- trays as some are not only useing the dreaded internal Ty's but some are even useing ones with a metal tang, unless i can find something official to show them its going to end up with you guys having to replace them all as soon as you recieve the kit. Better to find a piece of paper now i would have thought...

There must be some form of policy statement or safety report detailing which ones to use and why. I have trolled the JAP and exhausted all official channels so now i come to the people who do the job.

Can you contact the IPTs who are to be the customers for this kit and get them to send you their directives?

D

DF02

Can you contact the IPTs who are to be the customers for this kit and get them to send you their directives?

Already tried this route they cant seem to find anything, i'm starting to suspect that there is actually nothing down officially on paper.

P

pie sandwich

I would suspect there will be a Mil spec number for Ty-Wraps, my thinking in that is because if we have to have a mil spec for a washer which cost 20 times what the same washer would do in a DIY shop, so therefore it should be written down which Ty-wraps are authorised for use.

Not much help I know, but all aircraft 'C' stores will have to have been vetted at some point to be used.

D

DF02

I would suspect there will be a Mil spec number for Ty-Wraps, my thinking in that is because if we have to have a mil spec for a washer which cost 20 times what the same washer would do in a DIY shop, so therefore it should be written down which Ty-wraps are authorised for use.

Not much help I know, but all aircraft 'C' stores will have to have been vetted at some point to be used.

I agree there will be for all items already in use within the mob but, the project i'm on has not as yet got to the delivery stage (not trying to be smart just cant discuss what it is), i've just joined the company and am one of the few ex-forces members there and part of an even smaller number of people who have worked in an aviation environment. The standards and specs required arn't widely known outside and to many in the production area "a ty-rap is just a ty-rap and arn't they all the same" is what you are met by.

bigred1

SAC
The internal / external ty-wrap could be a hangover from the Kapton cable days. As an ex- lecky when I went onto Tonkas we had to do a Kapton awareness course which explained not only this but also why we should use the ty - wrap gun. Basically coz Kapton was so crap.
As for the metal inserts. that was just a no-no because of FOD. nuff said. Regulations didn't need laying down as FOD was always the big hammer that stopped any debate.
Get back to Looming with wax string. Oh those lovely mock ups in the bays at Halton. :PDT_Xtremez_09:

**** ,a shiver just went down my spine:PDT_Xtremez_42:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think BigRed is correct about the timing, this directive came in about the time Kapton was being rolled out.

I havent managed to find a definitive answer, although this suggests its down to the IPT:

Defstan00-970 part 1/5, section 6
6.6.55 Interconnecting electrical wiring shall be installed
using components, (e.g., terminal posts, terminal blocks,
terminal junction modules or electrical connectors) and
methods of support (e.g., cable ducts, conduit, open looms
in conjunction with cable ties and cleats) that meet with
specifications approved by the Aeroplane Design
Authority and agreed with the MOD Integrated Project
Team Leader (IPTL).

Alternatively, BS EN 4056-001:2006 deals with this directly, there are references to British Standards within some Defstans.

The question is, where did the IPTs get the directive from? I have asked a couple of desk officers and a former wiring husbandry rep and havent found the answer.

D

DF02

I think BigRed is correct about the timing, this directive came in about the time Kapton was being rolled out.

I havent managed to find a definitive answer, although this suggests its down to the IPT:

Alternatively, BS EN 4056-001:2006 deals with this directly, there are references to British Standards within some Defstans.

The question is, where did the IPTs get the directive from? I have asked a couple of desk officers and a former wiring husbandry rep and havent found the answer.

Many thanks for this, not come across this before it may mean i can throw it back at the IPT with confidence, if you do find anything more pretty please send it in my direction.

Back