• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Old PC - help!

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
My wife's PC has started acting strange. All the lights stay on, and there's a quick flash "no signal" on the screen.

It's an Athlon 1200MHz with 1GB RAM, running ME (she has some old programmes she really likes, such as Ra Jong). There's no Internet connection (yet).

Anyone suggest some remedial action please?

:PDT_Xtremez_09:

G

grumpyoldb

My wife's PC has started acting strange. All the lights stay on, and there's a quick flash "no signal" on the screen.

It's an Athlon 1200MHz with 1GB RAM, running ME (she has some old programmes she really likes, such as Ra Jong). There's no Internet connection (yet).

Anyone suggest some remedial action please?

:PDT_Xtremez_09:

No signal is normally a graphics card issue, or simply the monitor not plugged in.

No signal is normally a graphics card issue, or simply the monitor not plugged in.

Aye dude as the man say's look at getting a cheap agp see if that helps (Same type as one fitted ie ATI or nvidia), l take it, it does have a dedicated GC and not using onboard, also check the cables as stated above.

Let us know how it goes.

M

monobrow

I would look up the make/model of board and set about resetting the CMOS. No beep or display would mean it hasn't passed it's boot up check. Look for "popped" capacitors, if it has on board GFX then plug in an AGP/ old PCI card. If it already has one in, then remove it and use the on board GFX.

Obviosly if you get the floppy drive light up and HDD activity, then you might want to think about switching the monitor on....:PDT_Xtremez_31:

P.S. Them specs will run XP quite adequately, you'll be able to update it, and with a "Right click -> Compatability" 99% of your programs should run. Purchase a wireless card for next to nowt. She'll have T'internet, a more secure OS, and probably less reason to bug you as she can get on facebook on her pooter... :PDT_Xtremez_28:

Last edited:

Martin Blank

Sergeant
also possibility of a ram failure similar results can be diplayed.
if it has two memory modules take one out see if it boots, then try other.
If still no joy with either again may be graphics.

Soupdragon

Piermaster
the quick flash of 'no signal' on the screen suggests to me that the monitor is already plugged in and switched on.

sounds like GC prob to me...

J

JT 4 ever

the quick flash of 'no signal' on the screen suggests to me that the monitor is already plugged in and switched on.

sounds like GC prob to me...

Yeah.. test it by plugging the monitor into the motherboard monitor socket.. most of them have one!
if it works the graphics card is buggered

Back