• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Older' guy interested in joining the RAF

• Thread starter Thread starter arkham
  • Start date Start date
A

arkham

Hi.

I've always wanted to be in the armed forces, especially the RAF mainly because I always view the serving and veterans with the upmost of respect for the services that they perform.

I'm currently 34 and I've been running my own design & print business for the last 14 years. Economic climate has however made me look at what I want to do, and this seems like a perfect opportunity to change my lifestyle. My best mate is also currently a WSOP.

I'm currently co-habitating with my partner and 14 month old son in the east midlands.

I managed to get 4 GCSE's at grade C and above, but unfortunately I only got D or E for maths (I forget), a BTECH in visual communications with 4 further creative related A Levels and a HND in Graphic Design.

I'm really interested in the INT career route, but obviously I have no idea if I'm going to waste my or the recruiters time going along to the recruitment centre.

Can anyone enlighten me? I know the age limit is 36 but do you guys ever see someone of my age and background enter the RAF in this way?

Cheers

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Maths and English

Maths and English

Good Afternoon

To get into any int position you'll need Maths at GCSE C or above, check with your local AFCO before undertaking any 'equivalent' course.

Good Luck

A

arkham

Good Afternoon

To get into any int position you'll need Maths at GCSE C or above, check with your local AFCO before undertaking any 'equivalent' course.

Good Luck

Thanks for the reply. Would you have any advice on which roles I could potentially go for? I'm not really interested in pen pushing at the moment (but if that's all I could honestly go for, I'd consider it).

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Too old mate

Too old mate

Your age is going against you to be honest, you could look at copper, RAF Police not RAF Police Officer (that requires the GCSE and A Levels).

Give your local AFCO a shout, they'll be quiet at the moment so should be able to give you loads of advice.

If you are happy to remain a civy you could get some military in your life by becoming a reservist, a bit like the TA but in the RAF so it's not a bad thing. They have an Int element that may not be so stringent in applying the GCSE thing.

A

arkham

Your age is going against you to be honest, you could look at copper, RAF Police not RAF Police Officer (that requires the GCSE and A Levels).

Give your local AFCO a shout, they'll be quiet at the moment so should be able to give you loads of advice.

If you are happy to remain a civy you could get some military in your life by becoming a reservist, a bit like the TA but in the RAF so it's not a bad thing. They have an Int element that may not be so stringent in applying the GCSE thing.

Cheers, I'll give them a shout when I can if they are quiet then. Suppose I'd better shave this beard off then huh?
:)

Back