• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One for the Sooties ....

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
How much engine power at the turbine (% ish) is used to ...

Drive the compressors on a turbojet?

Drive the compressors and fan on a turbofan?

Drive the compressors and propeller on a turboprop?

propersplitbrainme

Warrant Officer
Read a ball park figure somewhere that approximately 60% of the energy produced by a turbojet is used to power the engine itself leaving 40% to produce thrust.

Again, a ball park fugure, approximately 90% of the energy produced by a turboprop is used consumed powering the engine itself and prop which can leave 10% to produce jet thrust. How thats split between the core engine and the prop I don't know.

I don't doubt that those figures have probably improved as technology has improved.

Last edited:

Late & Tired

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Crickey Barch, that's a deep question.
I think, considering the wage and pension the HR Trade is on, They should search their wealth of JPA docs and answer this one...
:PDT_Xtremez_25:

Last edited:

dumbsumpy

LAC
The power required to drive a compressor depends on the efficiency of the compressor being driven. Most modern compressors work at around 80-90% efficiency, so a turbine will have to equal the power required to drive the compressor to achieve this plus the additional 10-20% of power required to overcome losses through the compressor.

In a turbojet, realistically all Power generated by the turbine is put back into driving the compressor, as the efficiency of an turbojet engine is determined by the pressure raise through the compressor. However, Thrust, which drives the aircraft forward, is unaffected by the power extracted from the gas flow by the turbine and is dependent on the mass flow of air, the velocity of the gas stream leaving the jetpipe and the forward speed of the aircraft.

Not sure exactly how much power is extracted for turboshaft/props but as the main propulsive elements are driven from the power turbine, i would imagine that it will be a trade off between propulsive efficiency from the prop/blades and the 'air standard' efficiency of the compressor.

Probably this hasn't actually answered your question, but it might? be of some use.

Back