• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Outlook Express problem

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
My PC usually stays on all the time. Occasionally, though, I have to clean up, set a restore point and re-boot.

Open Outlook EXpress and it's lost ALL the messages in the Inbox and the Sent Items.

Can anyone suggest what I've set wrong please ?

(Athlon CPU, 2GB Ram, XP-pro)

steve_k243

Sergeant
My PC usually stays on all the time. Occasionally, though, I have to clean up, set a restore point and re-boot.

Open Outlook EXpress and it's lost ALL the messages in the Inbox and the Sent Items.

Can anyone suggest what I've set wrong please ?

(Athlon CPU, 2GB Ram, XP-pro)

I use the "full" version of Outlook, so maybe file locations are different.
The link is specific to Express.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

looks like the .pst file link has busted, or the .pst needs restoring.
Tip, I backup my .pst weekly to an external drive.

Last edited:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
At risk of talking binary to you...if your ISP allows you to access email via IMAP you can leave your email on the ISP server, only downloading the headers locally.

This has several advantages, not least the fact that backups aren't required (if you trust your ISP), also you can access and send email on all of your networked computers rather than just your main PC. If you're one of these who has multiple OS boots, no problem, since the emails are held at the ISP until deleted and purged. If you reinstall your OS, its one less thing to backup and restore.

The disadvantage is if you're the type that keeps 100s of Mb of emails in your inbox, you may run out of space on the ISP server.

Parky

Corporal
Or the other option is to Archive your emails onto an external drive as part of your clean up routine.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
I just don't understand WHY the damn things vanish.
It didn't used to happen.

And: I use Mail Washer to screen the spam before it opens OE.

PS. What or where is the .pst file ?

steve_k243

Sergeant
Have you started using Mcafee or another anti-virus program recently?

.pst is a Personal STore file. It's used in Outlook to contain emails, notes and calendar information.

Found this, do you know your backup location? If so try this (looks like he Express version does NOT use a pst)

To import your Outlook Express e-mail messages from the Backup folder:

1. On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
2. In the Select an e-mail program to import from box, click Microsoft Outlook Express 5 or Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.
3. Click Import mail from an OE5 store directory or Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and then click OK.
4. Click Browse, and then click on the Mail Backup folder in your backup location
5. Click OK, and then click Next.
6. Click All folders, click Next, and then click Finish.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thanks for the tips, guys. So far so good.

There's just one last problem.
A file has come in from a known source and if I select it, the whole thing jams up.
So, how to delete it ?.
If I try to select several at once, including this message; it jams up.

I cannot find where/how OE puts it's messages, so I cannot chase the duff one (I no longer care what's in it. I want rid !).

Any ideas, please ?

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Thanks to a screaming genie, I've discovered how to find the WAB file on the old disk (I have lost the DBX files).

Make sure that "See hidden files" in ON from Folder Options in the Control panel.

Docs & Settings
Local Settings
Application Data
Identities
{ Hex number }
Microsoft
Outlook Express

and the following DBX files may be found.
Folders
Inbox
Outbox

On another backup disk it was:

Docs & Settings
Application Data
Microsoft
Address book

and this had the bloomin' lot.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Ex-Bay

SNAFU master
Subscriber
Sorry if I sounded so patronizing, but I got away from Windoze a couple of years back and haven't looked back.

no probs.
I thought that there was a way I could use UBUNTU or some other Linux-type thing and still fly my simulators, I would transfer to it.
That and my complete ignorance of the thing!

Rambling Sid

Sergeant
Flight Sim is one of the only programs I really miss on my Mac. I can't get my hands on a copy of X-Plane and the free Flight Sim in Google Earth somehow doesn't play with my joystick....... Oh Well......

Back