• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Partitioning External Hard Drives.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've just purchased a 1TB external hard drive purely for the purpose of backing up all my photos etc in the event of my computer eating another hard drive.

So I got thinking about what if the PS3 went all SNAFFU as well? So I have had a sniff about and found out that the hard drive that I have is partitioned in the NTFS format which is fine for the PC but the PS3 needs the FAT3 format so is it possible to have the hard drive partitioned in both formats?

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I've just purchased a 1TB external hard drive purely for the purpose of backing up all my photos etc in the event of my computer eating another hard drive.

So I got thinking about what if the PS3 went all SNAFFU as well? So I have had a sniff about and found out that the hard drive that I have is partitioned in the NTFS format which is fine for the PC but the PS3 needs the FAT3 format so is it possible to have the hard drive partitioned in both formats?

Yes, each partition can be in different formats.

I have an external with one partition in NTFS, one in FAT32 and one in Macintosh Extended format volume.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Awesome so my next question (Predictably) is how do I go about it? :PDT_Xtremez_19:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Awesome so my next question (Predictably) is how do I go about it? :PDT_Xtremez_19:

I can walk you through how I do it, but I run a Mac so presumably that won't be much help.

Not sure how to do it on Windows, sorry.

M

monobrow

You can partition it up the ying yang if you so wish, however to do it in windows means destroying all data that's on it.

windows key + R, tap in diskmgmt.msc and hit run.

From there you can delete, create, format partitions as you please. If you meant an EXT3 partition, you're stepping into linux and a whole different ball game. Linux and windows partitions can co-exist, but setting them up requires a linux live CD. However you may have meant FAT32, in which Windows can sort it all out for you...

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Sorry, FAT32 is what I meant. Excellent help guys, I'll crack on and hopefully be able to backup both the PC and PS3. :PDT_Xtremez_30:

MingMong

Warrant Officer
Does windows still put a limit to the size that you can use for a FAT32 formatted partition? I remember having trouble in the past trying to format a 320Gb external drive to FAT32.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Does windows still put a limit to the size that you can use for a FAT32 formatted partition? I remember having trouble in the past trying to format a 320Gb external drive to FAT32.

If you use the Windows Format, you can't have a partition larger than 32gb as Micro-rob recommend NTFS for partitions larger than 32gb.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Ah right so I would have to have multiple Fat32 partitions then for anything larger than 32gb?

Could be a pain for when I start downloading Blu-rays or indeed full games.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Looks like I am getting somewhere with it.

Used diskmgmt.msc to format the hard drive less 250GB to NTFS and then FAT32Formatter to format the remaining.

Only the FAT32 has formatted the 250GB correctly yet it shows the NTFS formatted partition as unallocated?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Mingmong your a legend!

That program sorted it out straight away! :PDT_Xtremez_30:

BillyBunter

Techie & Proud
Yeah I used Swissknife too to format external HD so i can use it on my PC and the missus Apple Mac, works a treat

Back